Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Still working on several nit-noid problems. The Neutral and OD light do not work. A quick look at the Clymer book (1984-1986 GL1200) Gives troubleshooting procesures for a 3 wire switch. Neutral, Fourth and OverDrive. I understand Neutral and OD but why fourth? Also where the heck is this switch? Do I have to remove the fairing?

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

It's inside the engine, behind the front cover. It's tricky to get it timed, so be careful, if you go in there. Ask for instructions, if you decide to go after it, or maybe someone can scat instructions, an PM you. Have a water pump complete seal kit before you start.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
imported post

Don't recall for sure, but I believe the electrical timing advance kicks in in fourth gear. Might be the signal source for the timing module... :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Retro48 wrote:
I understand Neutral and OD but why fourth? Also where the heck is this switch? Do I have to remove the fairing?
Retro48, Shooter is close on the operation. 1st - 3rd use the advance built into the ign timing module, 4th - 5th also include a vacuum advance so your system needs to know when it reaches 4th.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks. What can I assume. Since the Neutral and OD lights do not light up, and the bike appears to be running ok, the lights are burned out? Loose connector?

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

The switch is in the front cover like Oregonwingerthere is an index installing it if you take it out you can check it by turning the switch to see if the gear lights come on

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Long side of pin, slightly offset, hovering over tab on light brown wafer. Then straight on with cover, with gears in neutral. Doesn't hurt to check the 3 wires with a test light, self powered type. One wire should be lit in neutral. Another wire should be lit in 4th, and the last should be lit in OD (5th) Test each wire, from it to case. I forget the colors. Maybe someone can chime in with the colors :baffled:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd sure check the bulbs before I did anything else!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.