Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Wing was missing a bit, so I bought some Sea Foam, and put roughly 1/3rd in with the engine oil, and the balance of the can into the fuel tank, and filled the tank with high octane gas.

Within a couple of miles, the bike started to miss and it progressively got worse as the bike warmed up. It was blowing some black smoke when I cracked the throttle, but I could not shake the engine badly missing. It feels like the bike is flooding with fuel and stalling very easily. It is also going through a lot of fuel. Once, and once only, when I cracked the throttle the Fuel System warning light came on and stayed on until I shut the bike off. Ironically the bike ran better with the warning light on. It has not come on since, and only seems to come on if you really crack the throttle. There is a smell of a lot of unburnt fuel and black smoke out the exhaust.

This model is fuel injected and has the computer below the rear trunk. I looked briefly at the 3 little LED lights on the computer and all 3 were red, with two of them blinking and one solid red. Don't know if that data is of any use?

I am really concerned about the bike and have no idea where to begin with this problem. I go on holidays in a couple of weeks, and given the current scene will not be able to take the bike.

Can someone send me a step by step set of suggestions and to how best to go through and isolate and address the problem?

I was advised that Sea Foam was a good cleaner for both the engine oil and the fuel system. Not sure if the 96 octane fuel should have been an issue either, or if both combined was overkill for the bike. Really feel kinda lost here right now, so all usefull advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,188 Posts
imported post

First, stick with 87 octane fuel. 96 is harder to burn so you open the throttle more to make it go. Hence a richer mixture.

Also, the Sea Foam will tend to act as a "fuel enrichment" and cause it to smoke until it is all burned out.

I think (2 cents) that you have a combination of the 96 octane fuel and the addition of the Sea Foam making it even richer.

How much fuel was in the tank when you added Sea Foam? If not very much, then top it off again with 87 octane. That will lower the percentage of SF to fuel.

I would continue to run the bike to burn off the fuel you have, but probably keep it below 60-65 and not so much throttle. I don't think any damage has occurred.

After you get a 100-200 miles on the oil mixture, drain the oil and change out the filter. You will notice the SF treated oil will be really black. The SF will have stripped out all of the old varnishes from the metal parts.

FWIW, I have run a full can of SF in a tank of fuel on my older '94SE and all that did was to smoke like crazy and eventually it cleaned up the poor idle and surging.

The richer the SF mixture, the smokier it will be. No harm done though.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi,

I put the Sea Foam into the tank and filled it with high octane. As mentioned it ran horribly and was just sucking fuel. I used about half a tank and then filled it with 87 octane fuel, but the problem is still there, although I only have a few kilometers on the new full tank. Man I had no idea it would run so badly. I guess the best that I can do right now is to just try and burn it all up, but the darned bike is running very rough and wants to stall constantly. Hopefully I can make it through this with no issues. Hope no damage has occured. The bike was not ridden that much when I bought it last year so I figured it probably needed a cleaning out. Is that on board computer making all the compensations for these changes? Is there anything else I could be looking at as far as any damage that may have been incurred?

Thanks for the time,

Chuck

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

First, I don't think the Seafoam or high octane gasis the problem. You say you have 2 blinking red LED's and one on continuosly.. I just looked at mine and the led's that are visable are number's 1,0, and W.There are a total of 5 LED's there: numbered left to right 3,2,1,0, and W. On mine 3 & 2 are covered by the computer mounting bracket and I'm sure that your's is the same. You might have to remove the bracket so's you can see all the led's for troubleshooting purposes. That said.....

According to my supplimental manual, W is on all the time the ignition is on. If 1 and 0 are blinking it's an indication of a problem with the Throttle Position sensor. If you can make sure you're veiwing all 5 LED's that might be a big help and we'll proceed with furthur troubleshooting!!

Let us know what you find!!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi,

I just went down to restart the bike. It has been sitting for a few hours now and cooled off. I checked the LED's with the ignition key on and this time NONE of the LED's were on, even peeking past the bracket. Then I started the bike and it is running very rough, wanting to stall, and blowing unburnt black fuel smoke out the exhausts. I again checked the LED's with the bike on and none were on or flashing.

Hope the computer module is not on the fritz. That would be nasty.

Anyways, I let the bike run for about 5 minutes and the warme it got the rougher it seemed to run, wanting to stall constantly and seeming to misfire.

The irony here is that this was NOT occuring prior to putting the Sea Foam and high octane fuel into the bike. The thing I noticed previously was that the bike would occasionally mis fire, but that was about it. So that was the only thing that I changed in normal operation.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

first i'd get rid of the sf att,then changeout the plugs and see what happens,you may have fouled the plugs
pm me your email address and i'll send you a copy of the sei supplement

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

first thing i would check (just because this happened to me) check the "map" sensors, they are located under the fuse block, open the false tank and pull the fuse block off its bracket and there will be 2 side by side sensors there, make sure the hoses are connected to the bottom of both

next thing is: give us some history on the bike, how long have you owned it? how long hgas it sat? how many miles? did you check the intake filter for guests?

next thing for me would be, get either some brake cleaner or carb cleaner and spray it under the injector area, the brake cleaner will make the engine stumble if it finds a vacum leak and the carb cleaner will make the revs go up

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

I'd say the problem is absolutely related to the Seafoam use. I'm not saying don't use the product-just pointing out the timing of it is obvious. Personally, I don't like the "shock" method of dumping the whole can in at once but to each his own. There have been several posts with pics of EMGO brand fuel filters dissolving with the use of Seafoam so I would change that unless you know for sure it is not an EMGO filter. When searching parts remember you have an '86 not an '87. SEI's were only made in 1986 models. I'd also bet that the lights on the computer came on just cause the bike was running so badly and if you can get bike running good, you probably won't see them again. Also, be sure when adding any amount of Seafoam to oil that you drain some oil first so level is not too high.
I'd recommend running bike with 87 octane also and taking it for an extended ride(You may want to ride a circuit so if you break down you arent 100 miles from home).
Change fuel filter(if it were me I'd let the rest of the fuel drain as well since it's running so poorly.)
Check engine oil to be sure it isn't overfilled. You'll be changing it after your long ride.
Check/change spark plugs to be sure they arent fouled.
Fill with 87 Octane and ride it till it clears up-good luck.

P.S.

I see I'm not the only one awake!-Good morning Earl, Good morning Strucker...

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

cmon now wingsam, you know its not a emgo filter, you have one of these, its in your avatar and i can see the fuel filter
good morning back at ya,,,,,,, now wake up!!!:ROFL:

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
imported post

sctrucker wrote:
cmon now wingsam, you know its not a emgo filter, you have one of these, its in your avatar and i can see the fuel filter
good morning back at ya,,,,,,, now wake up!!!:ROFL:
I need some Seafoam in my coffee...2 parties last night-40th suprise party for my wife's sister and 50th BD party for a buddy. STOP TYPING SO LOUD!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
imported post

I run a1/4 can of SF to a full tank of gas when I do use it.

If the plugs where old when you put in the SF I'm sure you fouled them.

ONEcan of SF treats 26 gals of fuel in a cars gas tank. So if you use a full can of SF in a 5 gal tank...........well it going to run ruff.

As said in the above post run it out as much as you can. Then add some more gas to the tank and change the plugs. I'm sure it will start to run better as you run the SF out of the system and start runing straight fuel again.

You should not have hurt anything unless there is something else wrong with the bike that you don't know yet.

Kurt

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks for all the advice so far. I will see if I can get it up and running on a circuit for a while today and see how it goes. I rode it yesterday for about 50 km and it was really running bad and blowing through fuel. I filled it again with 11 litres of reg octane gas. But 11 litres for 50 km is wreched consumption. I only rode it a couple of km since then but it sure runs like crap sitll

I spent the night pondering if there were any other issues, and a couple of weeks ago, I cracked the throttle accelerating onto a heavy incline suspension bridge here, and the bike lagged and really did not want to accelerate as it should have with the throttle open. Since then I have had the occasional hesitation or misfire but nothing really dramatic.

I bought the bike with 50,000 mi on it last fall. Rode it from Red Deer Alberta to the Vancouver area. Local Goldwing Lifetime GWRRA mech serviced for me. Usual, oil, filters, final drive oil, plugs and checked er over purged brake fluid etc. He is not fond of the Fuel Injected 1200's preferring the carburated ones. Warned me about problems with the computerized version. But have had no real problems until the occasional miss, and the lag on the bridge with throttle open.

I will systematically do what is mentioned above, and wonder what you guys think about the mention of the "throttle sensor" being a potential issue. Any way to check and where the hell would you get one?

A little shaken by thisevent as it was totally unexpected and a bit unnerving.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok, will take those steps and see how it proceeds. It's running so poorly that I will ride a circuit very close to home, just in case.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

there was a post here about a week ago that has a guy putting a different tps on his sei, it worked for him, since the tps is no longer available

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

If you have that post handy, could you forward along with his contact. It may be something I will need to pursue, but hopefully not. thx

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

i cant find it right now, of course i am not the best at using the forum search, i know its there but not sure where. i have a little problem with my sei, when riding it will act like it cut 2 cylinders out then the power is terrible, i just reach down to the trip computer and give it a smack and it straightens up immediately, a bad connection i know but have not taken the time to find it nor will i till the winter

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

ok, sorry, i was reading crank sensor and thinking throttle sensor, but there are threads on here about how to use a tps from a honda car i think

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.