Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to attempt rebuilding starter on my 87 interstate. I'm a bit of a novice at this, so any tips would be appreciated. first off, do I have to drop the exhaust to get the starter out.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,042 Posts
I did this to my '85 Interstate. I bought the bike for $500 because the starter failed and PO parked it. Then it sat for 10 years. The 86 and 87 have a tab in the case behind the starter to hold the starter chain sprocket in place when you pull the starter out. Earlier 4 cylinder wings didn't have that tab but the starter could be reinstalled with the bike on the side stand. To get the starter out the left exhaust manifold must be removed. I'm sure there are smarter guys on this forum, but I had to remove the saddle bags, muffler and engine crash bars. The FSM says the rear most exhaust manifold stud must be removed, so I did that. Then the are about 3 or 4 easy peasy bolts and you have the starter is in your hand.
The brushes were caked up with carbon dust and the commutator was pretty carboned up. The brushes were in spec so I reused them. And the planetary gears and bendex were really dirty. These were cleaned and lubricated as required and the starter has worked perfectly. All it cost was some general purpose grease and 0000 steel wool. Here are a few pics and a video showing part of what I did:

Jim Palmer's GL1200 Starter Fix

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Dave and Jim, I surely will follow the advice given. I can see I will enjoy this forum. thanks again. also, I'll be sure to forget about the "fixit fluid"

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
100% endorse what Mr Palmer posted. I found the same condition, including the condition of the brushes. Just cleaned it all up and left the original brushes in place. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, so far so good. Starter is out. Had some fluid leak when starter popped out. Is this motor oil?? Didn't smell like regular motor oil. I'm going to change the oil anyway, but enough leaked out to worry about if it is something else. Again, Thank you for the info. Love this forum

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
Well, so far so good. Starter is out. Had some fluid leak when starter popped out. Is this motor oil?? Didn't smell like regular motor oil. I'm going to change the oil anyway, but enough leaked out to worry about if it is something else. Again, Thank you for the info. Love this forum
Yes it is motor oil.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP. STARTER BACK IN AND CRANKING FINE. NEXT PROJECT IS TO CHANGE THE CHOKE CABLE. DOESN'T SEEM TO BE AN EASY WAY TO ACCOMPLISH THIS WITHOUT REMOVING RADIATOR, A FEW BODY PARTS , AIR BOX, AND POSSIBLY MORE. AGAIN, ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

1 - 11 of 11 Posts