Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just was wondering when I should change the timing belts on my 1988 1500 wing? Also is this an interference engine or a non-interference engine? :stumped:Mine just turned over to 80000

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Interference engine... HOnda says to look at them at 100k miles.. most here would say you are over due... (5 or 6 years or 50 to 60k is a common statement) I'd be more concerned about the 23 years than the 80k miles..

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Jim is right. They should be replaced right away if you don't know when they were changed. Most likely they are the originals. You don't want one of them to break. That would cause valves and pistons to collide. Can you spell M-O-N-E-Y?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

:shock:ya know I never thought about the age of the bike and if they have ever been changed. Bought the bike a month and a half ago, so far have riden about 3200 miles. I guess this winter would be a good time to change then.:action:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Change the Tensioners too, while you're in there.

·
Registered
267 Posts
imported post

here are some p/n's GL1500 from your local autoparts store a lot cheaper than Mother Honda

Gates - #T275 (2 ea.)
NAPA - #250275 (2 ea.)
Goodyear - #40275 (2 ea.)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Tensioners should be fine.. check them, of course, but they give you very audible warning when they start to go bad (screeching)... (and they are relatively expensive)

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Tensioners should be fine.. check them, of course, but they give you very audible warning when they start to go bad (screeching)... (and they are relatively expensive)
What Jim says! :grinner: :cooler:

Tensioners typically last quite some time and will let you know when/if it's time to change them. No use throwing money away frivolously when not needed.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
imported post

Reading, We bought our bikes from the same dealer and Mike the head mechanic at Bobz Bikz is very good about logging the belts condition and if they are original or not. I asked about mine when I bought it and they had been replaced already. You might call Bob to find out first.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I've read that the tensioners shed rust-orange material when they're failing. I found some of that when I last changed my belts, so I swapped them both.

Jack

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.