Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 1988 . 70,000 miles. Ran pretty nicely. Sounded good. Handled well. Swing arm ok. Carbs didn't stumble coming off idle. The button to change radio station didn't work, the seller said it was working maybe cleaning?... he was asking 2200 as we talked he came down to 2000 what else do I need to look at

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
ask about;

1) any previous accidents/major "drops", ,
2) Is title "clean" (no salvage titles!)
3) maintenance records available
4) tires/oil/air/pads changed when?

just my .02 cents, , ,good looking bike

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to check the Pre-1997 4th-5th shifter fork issue, I believe the 88's were susceptible to this, too.

Since you are a newer member a little background here:

Prior to the 1997 model years there was a transmission issue where the 4th gear shifting fork would wear or bend to the point where the bike would start to jump out-of-gear in 4th while riding (a false "neutral"), as the issue progressed 4th gear would become unusable and would cause issues in 5th too. The fix is to split the engine case and replace transmission parts, very expensive and a lot of work. Most people would simply look for a used replacement engine. Starting in 1997 Honda fixed this by using the beefier transmission parts designed for the Valkyrie in the GL1500.

This issue is really not all that common in the older 1500's so don't be scared of it, but common enough that there had been a good amount of chat about it in the forums. Here's the test....

Find a place with a good slope (like a driveway apron) to do this test. With front of bike heading uphill, hold brake, tranny in neutral, clutch released, engine warmed and idling. Tranny should be nice and quiet.

Turn bike around headed downhill and repeat test, same conditions. Tranny should still be nice and quiet. If you hear rattling/clunking that wasn't there when tested with nose uphill, RUN, don't walk. The rattling/clunking with the nose downhill is the sliding 4th gear engagement dogs bouncing off the stationary 4th gear dogs. This allowed by worn/bent shifting fork.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
Ask if the timing belts have ever been changed. That is an item most owners neglect. If they break, your in big trouble. At $2000 you can afford to have them changed, Also the sub filter and cruise filter is another over looked item. Ask if the drive shaft has been removed and the splines lubed. Another item that might be near replacing is the alternator brushes,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another ride, while giving it gas it sounds good. Letting off the gas while approaching a stop sign very clunky and noisy. So I passed the search continues. Thanks guys

·
Registered
549 Posts
That clunking noise while decelerating is likely just a U-Joint (still a couple $ to fix), not a valid test for the transmission fork issue though. Don't be scared of the pre- '97 1500's, If I had to make a guesstimate based on forum posts for every bike that had this issue there's a hundred more on the road never affected, and many of those well over 200,000 miles...

But not to worry, continue the search. There may be fewer listed in the fall but prices tend to be a little lower. More listings in the spring when riding season begins but prices tend to go up some.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
The transmission "shift fork issue" was mainly with the 1994 year Gold Wing's.

There was no (common known) transmission or shift fork issues with the other years.

Quite a few good upgrades were made between 1988 and 1992. Example: Starting, ignition, coolant etc.....!

Rear wheel and brake caliper mounting changes were made in 1990.

There was a BAS recall for 1988 - 1993 Gold Wing's.

I would recommend looking for a 1992 or later year Gold Wing to get the upgrades.

Always a plus if you can get accurate maintenance records on the bike.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Got a 95 SE for sale. PM me for more details if you are interested. All it needs is a new rider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts