Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Years ago I was given a swing arm, brake caliper with mount, final drive, axle,and wheel with rotor in payment for restoring a 77 CB750A. At the time I would rather have had cash, but the person I got these parts from had a trike kit put on his 93 SE and did not have a lot of extra cash. He bought the 93 and rode it for less than 100 miles before he trailered it to the place that did the swap. The tire still has the nubs in the middle of the tread (with all the talk about all the issues with the new-new tires on the market itstempting to use this tire).

I will be putting on a new rear tire and doing the full inspection soon, and I am reasonably sure that the final drive has never been off my bike. If I find wear in any of the splines I would like to know what parts will bolt right on and what won't. I have the above mentioned partsIF I need to use them. Also, I will be looking at the swing arm for rust as they are prone to fall apart, but this bike saw little to no rain and NO salty roads ever (I am the second owner and first met the first when the bike was less than 2 years old) and its first 10 years was stored in a heated garage.

My bike has a vibration onheavy decel at speeds above45 that feels like its coming from the rear wheel. It has always had this but it has gotten a little worse over time. There are no clunks or any other odd issues. Depending on what I find I might just buy and replace the isolators and bearings, but any shaft or spline damage/wear I will swap out what I need, even if I need to buy extra stuff to do it (as long as its cheaper).

From the searching I have done, I have found that if I want to use the 93 wheel on my 88 I would need to change the swing arm and brake assy. including the 93 rotor. Would anyone call this an 'up-grade'?

More searching indicated that the final drive hub is fully interchangeable all years (I assume all the same gear ratios too. I would like a taller one), but I also found that the 88 driveshaft is different than any other year. I also know the number of pins in the 88 driven flange is different than the 93, but I have read that both flanges fit the same way into the hub.

The main answers I am looking for:

Will the 93 hub fit my 88 without the need to change anything else?

Is the later driveshaft needed for the swap and/or is it even an upgrade?

Is there a place other than a dealer to get the rubber wheel isolators for an 88?

I know much more about the 'older' wings, but its about time I get to know more about the one I ride now. I did the carb.s this spring icluding the REAL off-idle fix, plus a fork brace and fell in love with this bike like never before.

Thanks in advace,

Bill

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

The 88-89 wheels have 6 pins attaching/driving the wheel and smaller brake rotor w/different caliper bracket.
The 90-2000 have a 5 pin set up. You can swap out as a set. You might have to use the final drive also. Change the differential oil and check the seals and bearings,
Grease the splines! USE Moly 60 PASTE! Honda or Loctite sells at a better price/oz. MUST BE DONE at Every tire change(10,000 miles).

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I believe the 88 rubber dampers are not separate. I bought an 88 about 5ys ago and 67k miles and it had a bad vibration on decel. I replaced the yoke(u-joint) about 90k and the vibration was gone. My old one didn't feel bad when I had it out and moved it around, but must have had flat spots or something wrong. I believe after that many years the grease just dried up and didn't do much good anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

newday777 wrote:
The 88-89 wheels have 6 pins attaching/driving the wheel and smaller brake rotor w/different caliper bracket.
The 90-2000 have a 5 pin set up. You can swap out as a set. You might have to use the final drive also. Change the differential oil and check the seals and bearings,
Grease the splines! USE Moly 60 PASTE! Honda or Loctite sells at a better price/oz. MUST BE DONE at Every tire change(10,000 miles).
Yes, I mentioned I know about the pin difference, and I am aware of the need to do the inspection and lube (the reason why I am doing all of it in thefirst place). Also, I am aware of what I would need to to swap itALL out (less the driveshaft), but thats not what I am asking about.

newday777 wrote:
It appears that this link is for the 'later' ones, are they the same for 88s?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
I believe the 88 rubber dampers are not separate. I bought an 88 about 5ys ago and 67k miles and it had a bad vibration on decel. I replaced the yoke(u-joint) about 90k and the vibration was gone. My old one didn't feel bad when I had it out and moved it around, but must have had flat spots or something wrong. I believe after that many years the grease just dried up and didn't do much good anymore.
Where did you get the u-joint?

I remember a thread somewhere about the isolators in an 88/89 being strange, and that they can be installed wrong, but I can't find it.

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I also found that I need to change the plastic shield on the final drive to match the year/wheel.

Bill

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
newday777 wrote:
Yes, I mentioned I know about the pin difference, and I am aware of the need to do the inspection and lube (the reason why I am doing all of it in thefirst place). Also, I am aware of what I would need to to swap itALL out (less the driveshaft), but thats not what I am asking about.

newday777 wrote:
It appears that this link is for the 'later' ones, are they the same for 88s?

Thanks,

Bill
Good question Bill,
I don't have that answer as the parts fiche for the 88-89 rear wheel doesn't show the dampers to check. Maybe they thought nobody would replace them??????? I wasn't back on the bikes until 3 years ago so was out of the loop on that. If you have both wheels, try fitting them, measure the slots etc.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...ry=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=1989&fveh=3453

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I hate to wait until I pull it all apart and then see if it fits, thats just not me. There are times where things can bolt up, but not be correct and cause problems.

There was one thread where someone claimed to install the later rotor on an early wheel, but I'm still looking for that one again. If true I COULD use either wheel/flange on either hub.

This 93 wheel is just sitting here as close to NOS as can be with its like new bearings, flangeand isolators. Using this wheel could save me money on isolators and bearings for my 88 wheel.

In addition to my original three questions:

Can I swap the 88 rotor onto the 93 wheel/flange assy.and use 93 wheel on my 88?

Thanks,

Bill

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

I just got back home from riding. I got the u-joint from servicehonda.com $63.92 plus shipping. The fiche shows that the rubber dampeners are not replaceable or available on an 88. At least that is what i sm seeing or else i would order some too.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
I hate to wait and then to the see if it fits thing, thats just not me. There are times where things can bolt up, but not be correct and cause problems.

There was one thread where someone claimed to install the later rotor on an early wheel, but I'm still looking for that one again. If true I COULD use either wheel/flange on either hub.

This 93 wheel is just sitting here as close to NOS as can be with its like new bearings, flangeand isolators. Using this wheel could save me money on isolators and bearings for my 88 wheel.

In addition to my original three questions:

Can I swap the 88 rotor onto the 93 wheel/flange assy.and use 93 wheel on my 88?

Thanks,

Bill
No, the mounting flange arrangement is different. I bought a used wheel assy and discovered the smaller diameter brake rotor difference on the older wheels the hard way... after paying $60 to mount & balance a car tire on it. As a result I became proficient at rear wheel removal installation. I'd trade you wheels, but shipping costs aren't cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
No, the mounting flange arrangement is different. I bought a used wheel assy and discovered the smaller diameter brake rotor difference on the older wheels the hard way... after paying $60 to mount & balance a car tire on it. As a result I became proficient at rear wheel removal installation. I'd trade you wheels, but shipping costs aren't cheap.
More than just the 5/6 thing and the rotor won't swap to the wheel?

I have read where the final drives are all the same (less the plasic shild), I hope thats true, that is, IF I need it, but now I have doubts if the wheels are so different.

From the research I did, I COULD swap the swingarm, wheel, and brake, BUT I don't know if the larger rotor would mess with the front/rear brake bias with my 88.

Thanks to Indianawantsmeas well,I will check that out, as I plan to install a new one.

Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Just looked at a 88/89 wheel on evilbay (easier than crawling under my bike) and I can see a big difference on the brake side. Makes sense that it will not work, but still would like info on the final drive hub and driveshaft.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I think I need to go to a dealer to look at the part numbers. I would like to find out what will and will not fit my bike, the parts that do not fit will be sold to purchase ones that will.

Bill

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

Best bet is just to buy a replacement '88/89 wheel. Do you have a new tire mounted on the '93 rim? If your rim is complete & in great shape (as is mine), I could possibly be convinced to remove the tire & ship it/trade if you do the same. I ran the wheel on my bike for 1 week (maybe 3 or 4 rides) to try out the car tire, but took it off due to the rotor diameter issue... I sure wish it was interchangeable & fit on my '91.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Daryl Martel wrote:
Best bet is just to buy a replacement '88/89 wheel. Do you have a new tire mounted on the '93 rim? If your rim is complete & in great shape (as is mine), I could possibly be convinced to remove the tire & ship it/trade if you do the same. I ran the wheel on my bike for 1 week (maybe 3 or 4 rides) to try out the car tire, but took it off due to the rotor diameter issue... I sure wish it was interchangeable & fit on my '91.

I don't need a replacement wheel, I'm just looking to find out what I can use from the 93 on my 88. It would have been great to install the wheel with bearings and isolators that have 100 miles on them, but its not worth swapping everything needed to use it. What I can't use easily on my 88 will be sold.

From the 93 I have these parts with less than 100 miles on them:
Rear wheel assy. with rotor and 18 year old 'new' tire
Caliper with mount bracket, pads,and rubber hose
Final drive hub assy.
Swing arm with bearings still in it, and the left side pinch bolt
U-joint boot
Axle
(not a for-sale thread, just a list of what I have. I have a thread in the for-sale section for the body parts from the 93)

At this point I know that the 88/89 take different rear pads so I think the caliper is not likely to be usefull, nor the pads, but I will find out about the bracket and hose. Also I would like to see IF the swing arm is different as I would like to use it rather than installing new bearings in mine.

Updated questions:
Doesthe 93 final drive hubwork on an88 & will the 88 driveshaft work with it?
Does the 88 and the 93 use the same rear brake hose?
Does the 88 and the 93 use the same swing arm?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

According to my dealer parts guy, the driveshaft and u-joint are used on all 1500s, and final drive hub are the same for 88 to 96 making what I have fully useable to me if I need it. He told me that the swing arm has a different part number for the assy. but the bearings, pinch bolt, as well as the other parts mentioned are the same. He said the difference could be something as minor as the COLOR.

In photos they look at least very similar, but neither of us has two swing arms side-by-side; I still need to look into this more. Any help on this would be great!

Thanks,
Bill

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

As far as I can tell 88 and 89 are different than the rest.
88 & 89 are part number 52100-MN5-P00 (replaces 52100-MN5-000)
The newer ones take different bearings, so there could be a difference in hole sizes where the bearings fit.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Jsalpha2 wrote:

As far as I can tell 88 and 89 are different than the rest.
88 & 89 are part number 52100-MN5-P00 (replaces 52100-MN5-000)
The newer ones take different bearings, so there could be a difference in hole sizes where the bearings fit.
Hmmm...

My guy said they take the same, but there is a chance he was wrong too. Thanks for the input and I need to look at this again because if I can use the later bolts to make it work I can still use it.

Bill

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Bill, FWIW, the rear pad difference is a minor change of thickness and compound -- if you look to the aftermarket, rear - pads all fit the full 1500 production. OEM dealer is a bit different from "fit"...

The rotor mounts OK but you'll need the 90+ caliper bracet...

Changing wheels is kinda a mess in my tiny brain due to the distance collars (inside the wheel and between the left bearing and the caliper bracket) that space the rear drive distance and bearing preload from torquing the axle (axle is a clear swap=fit though). I've had luck in using the collars that came with the wheel, but have been intending to measure em.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.