Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I see they say the compu-fire alternator wont fit a 1988 wing. What are the options to get more amps?

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I see it's also $35 more expensive there. I would call Cyclemax and speak to Gary. He will clear up any questions.

Cyclemax
1022 Marks Rd.
Valley City, Oh 44280
Phone: 330-225-1169
Email:
Hours: Mon-Fri 10:00am - 6:00pm
SatBy Appointment
Sun Closed

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

Mikef,
I'm thinking about up grading to the Compu Fire alternator..
I was wounding if there was anything else that has to be changed to accommodate the extra volts or well the stock system, battery and such handle it.........

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

You and me both. This article showed up a while back and should answer your questions. I think there is also a fuse upgrade, or additional fuse suggested. The instructions should explain that.

http://horseapple.com/compufire-rev.HTM

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

This is from an old post from SHREK snr.

He was advising replacing the stock alternator in an 88, with a Compufire.

http://tiny.pl/6x2b

I thought I remembered something about having to drill some holes through the new alternator mounting shoulder. Can't be old age, can it?

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
Mikef,
...I was wounding if there was anything else that has to be changed to accommodate the extra volts or will the stock system, battery and such handle it.........
I know you addressed this to mike, but I'll still add my 2cents...:baffled:

You will not get the full benefit of the upgrade without going toan AGM type battery also.

While it is true that the compufire voltage is set slightly higher than the OEM honda, it is well within the operating parameters of an ordinary flooded lead acid battery. However, thereal benefit is the increased load (amperage)capability of the compufire. This increased capacity will be available for your accessories in either case (flooded battery or AGM), but the flooded battery has a higher internal resistance than the AGM and will not accept a recharge at the same rate as the AGM, so recovery of a flooded battery will always take longer than an AGM. Also, the initial voltage drop at startup for a flooded battery is greater than an AGM for the same reason (internal resistance), so the typical low voltage symptoms (startson release of start button) may not go away with only the alternator upgrade.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Hey, I'm open to everyone's .02 cents.....:waving:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Please sent all left over .02 cents to michaelspccpr at bellsouth.net via Paypal.:shock::shock::D:D:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

As far as the Compu-fire working with 1988 goldwings, here is the response I got from CycleMax.

"The Compu-Fire alternator will fit the 1988 Goldwings. There is
something different about the 1988 Goldwings versus the 1989-2000 bikes.
It is either the diameter or length of one of the bolts that is
different. It is an easy problem to work around. Compu-Fire states that
their alternators will fit all Goldwing 1500's. Thanks for asking."

Scott

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

If GM goes down, I imagine the Delphi (Delco)alt will disappear, eventually. Unless someone buys it. Should we all pitch in 20.00?? :)

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

I spoke with a gentleman who built a business on rebuilding GW alternators.
I have yet to order mine but I am leaning towards his high output model. You can find more info at this site.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
imported post

I just put one on me 88 and all I had to do was order 2 of the mounting bolts fot a newer model I did it for a 95. The top and bottom bolts on the 88 have shoulders on them that are too lorge to fit through the flange holes. so you have two options either drill the mounting holes bigger or order the newer style bolts so as not to have to alter the alternator. The compufire comes with ths instructions telling about the different bolts So get one they are great.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

goinggold wrote:
As far as the Compu-fire working with 1988 goldwings, here is the response I got from CycleMax.

"The Compu-Fire alternator will fit the 1988 Goldwings. There is
something different about the 1988 Goldwings versus the 1989-2000 bikes.
It is either the diameter or length of one of the bolts that is
different. It is an easy problem to work around. Compu-Fire states that
their alternators will fit all Goldwing 1500's. Thanks for asking."

Scott
And here's the response I got from Compufire.......

mikef wrote:
Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
mikef on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 at 01:47 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
PartNumber: 58500
PartDesc: 58500 Alternator
ProblemDesc: Does this fit all 1500's, including the 1988 model?
Username: Mike F
UserTel:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Mike, in order to fit on an '88 you will need a few parts from you local Honda Dealer, Part# 2268-001 (dowels, x2), and Part# 253509-001 (Bolts 8x38, x3)... Best Regards, Compu-Fire

I assume they are talking about the bolts referred to in the earlier post.

Mike :waving:

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

If a Compufire won't fit in an '88, then I must have been running on my battery for the last three years . . . wow.

Jack

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

tybme wrote:
I spoke with a gentleman who built a business on rebuilding GW alternators.
I have yet to order mine but I am leaning towards his high output model. You can find more info at this site.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resp3jbj/
Sent this guy an email, here is what he says

My H.O. alternator puts out 65+ amps as compared to 90 amps for the COMP-U-FIRE. I have a rewound stator and rotor for more output.

Prices are at his site... a little more than half price of a Compufire..

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
imported post

I have one on my 88, had to replace one bolt, no biggy, hardest part was getting it into the frame.

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

Sandiegobrass,
Well that answers my questions.. I thought I'd read something a while back about a battery change.. Now we have the reason way.. Your explanation probably cleared up a lot of unsure minds..
Thank you

·
Premium Member
63,070 Posts
imported post

Mikef,
How can you find a post back in 1/29/06 that easy ??????????
Good information.....
Thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.