Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK guys...HELP... I have a friend who has an 88 wing. The clutch won't work on the first stroke. If you pump it up with multiple strokes it will hold until released. let it sit about 20-30 seconds and the same thing occurs. The slave cylendar was found to be leaking so he had a mechanic (aircraft mechanic) rebuild the slave cylendar. problem still there, no change except the leak stopped. This is where I came in to the picture. We bled the system but as soon as you try to use the clutch, same problem. Re bled system and got some air again. Each time we blead, the problem persistrs and after you pump up the clutch more air bubbles. We felt that the master Cyl may be bypassing so repalced it with a good used one. Problem did not change. No fluid appears on or under the bike. Bleading was done with a vacuum bleader.

Any help, suggestions would be appreciated....Nick....

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Nick my guess is the slave cylinder is still faulty it does not have to leak as it may be drawing in the air rather then pumping the fluid out check the banjo bolt on the slave has its two copper washers installed one on top and one on the bottom

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

thanks Peter. the crush washers are in place on both the master, and slave cyls. but were not replaced. That was my next step. will replace them. The only other thing I could come up with is the slave is leaking past the seal along the push rod and getting in the engine oil. Checked the dip stick and found no trace but a small amount would be hard to see by that method.....Nick

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Pull the slave again its only 3 bolts and the pipe check the piston and the O ring and seal are ok he may have nicked one putting it back with your friend let the bike lean over on the right crash guards just put a piece of mat or old rag under them and you can get to the slave handy from under neath and make sure no 17 in the fisch is ok also

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks but I have access to a bike jack, will stick to that. Main problem right now is the temprature and humidity. Heat index today is about 110 f. and the bike is in a non-airconditioned aircraft hanger. Bet its much cooler in your neck of the woods. supposed to stay hot here for another 5 days and the bike (someone elses) will just have to wait. :)) Nick

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Nick Zara wrote:
...The slave cylendar was found to be leaking so he had a mechanic (aircraft mechanic) rebuild the slave cylendar. problem still there, no change except the leak stopped...
> What did the "Rebuild" consist of?... The rebuild kit's I've bought did not include the Seal #15 in the following image. This same seal was totally worn out on the 1990 I just rebuilt.. which also had very poor clutch movement prior.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Bet its much cooler in your neck of the woods

55 at the moment we have not got a summerrain most days or cloudy

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

I think you still have air in the system. Did you try bleeding at the master cylinder ? Sometimes no amount of bleeding at the bleeder valve will eliminate the air. Try pumping up the system and crack the banjo bolt quickly at the master cylinder and see if you purge any air . Air likes to hide right there......USE CAUTION though...brake fluid will destroy paint and plastic in a hurry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.