Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Great and powerful Oz I seek the answer to a question that defies my wisdom. This has happened to me 3 times in the last two weeks. When I go to start the engine whether it is hot or cold I push the starter button and every thing dies. The lights go out the clock goes out everything. After I dis/reconnect the Positive side of the battery the bike usually starts up. Also it has never died while the bike is running.

What I have checked:

1) Battery is good and strong

2) Connections are good and clean, even cleaned them to be sure.

Some one suggested that the "Tilt Switch" may be going bad. My question is this, does the Tilt Switch kill the power to the engine or the entire bike?

What say you?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Just for grins, hold voltmeter probes into the lead terminals of the battery while you press the starter button.

If the battery holds 12v or more while attempting to start, you have a bad connection someplace. If the battery dives below 10V it's time for a battery.

You could also have a super large load someplace but that would have other obvious side effects most likely.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Everything has checked out good. I am wondering if a battery can lose all power and then regain it? Can something inside the battery cause this?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

cromagjeff wrote:
Everything has checked out good. I am wondering if a battery can lose all power and then regain it? Can something inside the battery cause this?
It's not very likely and if it were doing that, something would be very wrong going on inside and time to change it out.

That would be one of those things I'd like to see first hand.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Sorry to ask, but have you checked the connection from the neg side of the batt cable to the bike?

Bill

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Now that you say that no. I was looking at the negative cable and could not see where it connected to the frame. Where does it connect to the frame?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Now that you say that no. I was looking at the negative cable and could not see where it connected to the frame. I was looking for the frame connection yesterday and got pulled away. Went back to the bike and put it back together. Where does it connect to the frame?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Now that you say that no. I was looking at the negative cable and could not see where it connected to the frame. Where does it connect to the frame?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Sorry I'm a little quick to click "Send Now" if for some reason it doesn't send.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

cromagjeff wrote:
... When I go to start the engine whether it is hot or cold I push the starter button and every thing dies. The lights go out the clock goes out everything. After I dis/reconnect the Positive side of the battery the bike usually starts up. Also it has never died while the bike is running.

Some one suggested that the "Tilt Switch" may be going bad. My question is this, does the Tilt Switch kill the power to the engine or the entire bike?

The BAS won't kill off the whole bike .. (Cruise, ignition, fuelpump, yes, but the headlamp should stay with ya)

A cracked cell (battery plate) could cause this, but wouldn't "reset" as your describing unless the crack is getting wiggled by however youre wrenching on it... Are you disconnecting the positive side ONLY ? (besides being a 'risky behavior', this could indicate something ...)

I would recommend that you disconnect the battery's -'ve side... then fully remove the 50A dogbone fuse in the bike's positive lead and replace it with a clean new one... Also, while you're at it, replace the 30A fuse that's attached to Solenoid A. Neither of these really woudl "reset" specfically as you mention, but they are 'wiggled' as you fuss with the battery's positive connection.

Given that this doesn't seem to happen when you're riding(engine running), I'd check teh dogbone first off. Pull it out and TOUCHit... ;) (there's a few fuses on the 1500 that can "kinda work"... and just ought'a be replaced with a known-goodfuse whenever they are suspect.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Sounds like an internally shorted battery and can be a real head scratcher when diagnosing for a fault.
A shorted battery will test at 12V. but when a heavy load is applied such as starting , it will fall down completely.
Follow Rudys test to determine.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Volt meter reads 12.3 volts to battery. Reads 12.3 volts +battery to frame. Turned the kill switch off and hit starter and it reads 10.8-11 volts. I was told by a long time GW owner/rider/trike builder that most likely it is the starter switch. So where can I get a starter switch?

·
Honda Guru
2,050 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like there's a loose connection OR the internally shorted battery. Either can cause your symptom. One main ground is near the oil level dipstick.
You could also have a loose connection at the starter itself.

Even though you've checked connections for being tight there might be corrosion build up. Pull them apart and clean if needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.