Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

hey guys, i'm new here and picked up a 85 with 32k on the clock.. very clean.. although i have a triumph rocket 111 i'm finding i look forward to riding the wing more.. here's the question.. there is a 88 with only 10k on the clock for around the 3500 mark.. i havent seen bike yet but when i spoke to him he says it's not running.. he's owned it some 8 years and it's been sitting garaged for sometime. he either doesnt know much about mechanics or is playing dumb but says he's sure it's minor to get it going.. not dead battery type prob.. sounds more like a crank and wont fire, but like i said he doesnt seem to know too much... i'll hopefully get to inspect bike tomorrow night and have more details but...

do youthink this is a walk away from deal or grab it like the last cookie in the jar.

thanks

sam

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure about the 1500's, but my 1100 will not start if the battery is even close to dead. You said the wing had been sitting up for "sometime", do you happen to know how long. If it has been more than just a few months, the battery has probably been partialy drained and there is not enough juice to start her. I would suggest taking a reading of the battery charge before I thought about giving the man any money for it.

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

:waving:Welcome and Hello . Any gasoline powered engine which has set up over 6-8 months without fuel conditioner could surely have carburetor/fuel problems . 10K is low on the mileage for a wing ,its hardly been broken in . Sitting is a terrible form of punishment on fluids , batteries , rubber goods . I would think for the year model you could find a running version near same money . Though it would probly have over 60k miles .I would not turn away from this bike , but give it serious looking over (which is hard to do with all tupper ware in place). Put on your best poker face and go in for deal .

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Borrow a battery and leads and try to start the bike..... if it turns over but doesn't start, then the least of your problems is a set of plugged up carbs......Does the engine even turn over?If it doesn't, it mayinvolve a gummed-up starter clutch (engine must come out).......or broken belts and perhaps bent valves......walk away....

An odometer displaying only 10K is suspicious; can you determine if it's turned over once or not.....? Most likely it's a 110K....

A running bike for $3500 is maybe reasonable; a non-runner is not.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,500 Posts
imported post

I'm suspect of the only 10k miles statement. Especially for an '88. More like 110k miles.

However, IF, you get there and look at it, and can't see anything to indicate a lot of grunge under it, maybe that is true.

Pull the tupper ware off and have a good look see at what is under it.

The faux tank cover comes off in less than 5 minutes, open the air cleaner and see what is in there? Clean as a new one? Hmmmm, maybe it is as represented. full of bugs, dust bunnies, and maybe a mouse or two? Visual inspection is what is going to determine what that one is worth.

Can you do the work yourself? If so, you are looking at seals leaking oil and a full carb rebuild job. A new battery, a rotted out radiator and hoses. All of the vacuum lines to the carbs most likely are bad because of age.

Due diligence here my friend.

$3500 as is? I say $2,500 because you might have to put that much more into it. Maybe only a $1,000 but no less than a $1,000 to get it going and reliable on the road.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

thanks for the comments... i can do all work myself , i agree i've never seen this low of mileage on one but stranger things have happened. we'll see what transpires tomorrow

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I may be wrong, but doesn't the GL1500 have a 6 digit odometer? As in capable of registering 999999 miles?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I gave $1k for a rough-looking'88, with 58k on the clock. I've got just under 3 grand total in it to get it running sweetly, but it's still a bit ugly.

If that thing looks as it should for 10k miles, and doesn't have a busted belt - I'd give 2k for it. But that's just me.

·
Premium Member
20,619 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Kansas! :waving:

I hope you find the forum as fun and informational as we do. :cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard! :action:

·
Premium Member
12,853 Posts
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
I may be wrong, but doesn't the GL1500 have a 6 digit odometer? As in capable of registering 999999 miles?
I know my 94 has 6 digit odometer .

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the state of Pennsylvania!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
imported post

Rusty has an 88 for sale right now. It has 90K but is in good running condition for $3800.
If you put $500-700 of parts and a whole bunch of labor, you have a bike that would sell for maybe $4500. Make your offer accordingly.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

UnlessI knowthe engine will run without a total rebuild or replacement I think of it as a parts bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.