Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

'88s and '89s were good for those headaches. I eBayed a set of '95 carbs, rebuilt 'em, and threw 'em on - problem solved.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Your manual will show the vacuum and fuel hose routing for various years of 1500. Components from your old carbs, and the later set can be combined to make the swap work. 10 inch straight and 45 degree needle nose pliers will make your life a lot easier as well.

The only issue I had with my '88 was the throttle cables have a wee bit of extra slack in them, even with the adjusters opened up all the way. I made a small spacer to take up most of the slack, and the system has worked very well for over 10,000 miles. Cables from a later model would likely resolve this issue. My '88 also had an "altitude compensator" in the front right fairing - that I disposed of entirely, with no ill effects. She ran great right to the top of Mount Mitchell last month.

Just be careful when you overhaul the carbs. The needle and seat assemblies that came with my Sirius kits were junk. I had to go in again, and put the stockers back in.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

The green things are shot-air solenoids. Leave them alone, unless they fail.

The altitude gig is a brass deal that looks like a pressure regulator, and has barbed hose fittings plumbed to the carbs. It is rubber-mounted high in front of the right locking fairing compartment's hole.

Our last littlespin included Ocracoke Island, at sea level - and Mt. Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi River (6,578'). The old girl pulled like a train the whole way, without the device. You should be okay, even if you leave the flat-lands.:)

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

HogansWing wrote:
Thanks, I'm going to try this. Did you just loop the line at the carb or in the fairing pocket.
The '95 carbs I used weren't set up for the compensator, so there was no extra plumbing to deal with. According to the aforementioned vacuum hose routing diagrams, that piece"went away" after the first couple years. . . . . . . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.