Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1988 GL1500 leaking oil in rear (shaft)

995 views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  clark9825 
#1 ·
imported post

Hi I am new to the goldwing bike, I just bought an 88 GL 1500 goldwing and have it in my garage and after it sat for a few days I noticed a few drops below the rear tire. Upon further inspection I see the bottom of where the shaft meets the rear tire (the round housing). It is not alot of fluid but was wondering what could cause that. I checked the fluid level and it is at the bottom of the hole that is there to check. And there are no noises or grinding just wondering if there is a seal in there that maybe leaking. The housing does not appear to be cracked. I just don't want to make this problem worse or cause a safety issue. Thanks in advance for your time and replies.

#3 ·
imported post

Here's something for you: from BikeBandit.com

I'd consider ordering item: 31

Take off the rear wheel to change 31.

(Edited - meant to say 31 - said 30 instead).

#4 ·
imported post

Might also be the large seal on the wheel side of the final drive, item #31 in the above drawing. I've had to replace a couple of similar seals in that position on 1100s. Shouldn't be too hard to tell if the oil is coming out of the joint between the swing arm and final drive or if it's showing up from the inner part of the wheel on the right side. If it were me, I'd change 'em both.

#5 ·
imported post

Thanks guys for the reply, it appears to be leaking right where the wheel meets the hub meets the wheel. One thing I have noticed that seems odd to me is there is a notch on the bottom of the hub that appears to be open, almost looks like there should be something there like a gromet or something should there be one there?

#6 ·
imported post

Take the rear wheel off so you can get a look at the assembly - I'll bet #31 is your culprit.

Post a photo if you want some other eyes to see what you're seeing.

#10 ·
imported post

It appears I had a false alarm with the leaking. The day I noticed the leak I remembered I had driven home that day in a gentle rain. So I wiped down the area and have not seen anything since. It would appear that when I parked it that day that some rain water dripped down as it sat for a couple of days. I panicked thinking I had a leak. I do appreciate everyone's response. Wheeewwww:)

#11 ·
imported post

Hi neighbor. I have the same bike, only mines got a few more miles on it and it's uglier. :)

Before you go ripping the rear end apart - make sure the bike is LEVEL when you check the diff. lube (not on the side stand), and ifsome wants to drip out - let it. Clean the outside of the final drive really well, and keep an eye on it.

I've found that the slightest overfill onmy 1500 diff. will burp out the breather, and run down the diff. That 90W really whips around in there.

I thought I was doing myself a favor with a "little extra", but all I did was make a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.