Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1988 gl1500 goldwing with 91000 miles. I was trying to fix my saddle bag light and lost all power. The ignition not coming on, no power coming to the fuse box. the main 30amps is good. can someone till what could be the problem. No power on when I turn the ignition on. The battery is new and full charge.:praying:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Welcome to the forum, all I can think of is maybe you lost a ground somewhere ? I'm sure some 1500 experts will chime in but now you're a member here try using the search function it is full of info and when I can't sleep I'll read threads until I get tired. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Main fuse blown, battery ground disturbed.... The thread mclock linked to covers most possibilities.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
I have a 1988 gl1500 goldwing with 91000 miles. I was trying to fix my saddle bag light and lost all power. The ignition not coming on, no power coming to the fuse box. the main 30amps is good. can someone till what could be the problem. No power on when I turn the ignition on. The battery is new and full charge.:praying:

Have you checked the 50A dogbone fuse (as well as the 30A main fuse on the starter relay you mentioned)

I would suggest reviewing your work (or unplugging your saddle bags from teh harness) as you begin to islate the "what broke" -- just so whatever the cause is is not re-occuring.

Were you re-wiring the '88s ElectroLuminescent panels to a new inverter box, or perhaps removing that lighting system altogether and replacing with LED or incandescents? Reason behind my question is that the output of that box should be above 75 volts and AC, and I've seen at least one wing that had that that juice being fed back into the harness (not recommended)...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have check all fuses and relay and all turn up good. I do not know what else to do. Do anyone know what is the function of the power control unit. please is there any goldwing guru.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
Just a thought, try jumping the bank angle sensor. I tried to find it in search, but search must be down this morning...-Rich

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
... no power coming to the fuse box.
From the battery, through the 50A dogbone, DIRECT to the fuse box there are SEVERAL fuses that will have power if the 55A dogbone is good. Please recheck the voltage on yout #2 fuse (Ign Cruise) and/or both sides of the 55A dogbone.

IF your 55A dogbone is good and there is no power (regardless of key position) to the IGN CRUISE fuse on your '88, then you have a broken conection in the large white wire from your 55A dogbone to the fusebox itself.

To determine where this wire break is, with the key OFF, measure the voltage at the output terminal of your alternator. The heavy gauge White wire from the dogbone is spliced to the alternator and fusebox/Relaybox. If you have 12V at the alternator and NO voltage in the fusebox, the break is at or after the splice.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...I was trying to fix my saddle bag light and lost all power...
What exactly did you work with, prior to this problem surfacing?... eg Did you simply remove a saddle bag and light, or were other modifications made?

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
What exactly did you work with, prior to this problem surfacing?... eg Did you simply remove a saddle bag and light, or were other modifications made?
:D If I had a dime for each time I panicked after forgetting to reconnect the battery...
... I'd have a whole s**t-load of dimes! :ROFL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.