Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I always refer to this forum for help with questions and today I have Three topics:

- My cruise control turns on, but will not set. I have read in a few places that it could be a cable, a sensor or even a clogged filter. The switches do not seem to affect it with the old "push the levers the opposite way to let them seat properly. Where is the cable? where is this filter?

- My CB radio will not change channers. It is stuck on channel one and DOES work, I just can not change the channel

I thought I saw some links to some shop manuals. Looking for the best which appears to be the actual shop manual...any suggestions?

Thank you in advance,
Tim

Attachments

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

There can be many reasons why the cruise will turn on and not set. Clutch switch, hand brake switch, foot brake switch and throttle switch. Also it needs to get a signal from the transmission that tells it it is in 4th or 5th gear. You must also be above about 30 MPH and below 80 MPH. These are some of the reasons but not all,that may becausing the problem. I have a file that I can send you that will help diagnose the problem. If you wand the filesend me a PM with your email address.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

I can almost 100% guarentee that you have dirty/corroded switches for both cruise and CB channel switch. The good news is, contact cleaner in most cases will fix the problem. Looking at your avitar, I see where you are located, and the weather has been wet this past winter, and hot/humid all summer. A perfect environment for fouled switches/contacts and connectors. I'd start with a good "PLASTIC SAFE" contact cleaner, and start blasting switches. Lotsa guys then will follow up with WD-40 to lubricate after cleaning. Be diligent with the cleaner, and work the switches during the spraying, and I'll bet you fix both problems! Here's to hoping I'm right! jimsjinx

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately I am not into electronics, at least not the digital type. I hope it is not something inside the units themselves. I have worked on older tube type CB and ham radios, but wouldn't touch the new stuff.

Those are really nice bikes. Interesting seeing them side by side like that. I prefer the looks of the 1100 about 10 times more than the 1500. Those old bikes are classy.

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

+1 on dirty switches. You can access the cables on the right side but you will have to take off a bit of plastics to get to them.....as well as the filter itself. Have a look here for the cruise filter location. The inexpensive filter can fall apart and foul things up....but again it would not be my first guess.

[line]
[line]
RED

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.