Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

great site you have here!!!! gone through the help topics and do not find what I am looking for so I ask PLEASE for assistance

88 gl1500,have a problem with the shifter and have to wiggle it to get the starter to engage when in neutral??switch or something not making contact and do not know where it is, also may be related to the reverse when in up position I toggle the low high beam to get headlights on and the neutral light does not alway work.. Have had the bike for just over a year and is my first and no problems across canada do not know if these problems are related, always has started in the past without neutral light,the shifter switch thingy seems to be the bigest problem TANZ :DCHIP

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Chip, I don't quite understand what the problem is on your bike. It appears that the starter will not turn over with the transmission in neutral. (?) Without the neutral light being visible, it's difficult to know if the tranny is in gear or not.. Seems like the neutral saftey switch is defective. It may be incorporated within the shift indicator switch. Inspect the wiring for breaks and the connectors for corrosioninside the plastic holder. You cannot view the microswitch for wear because it is internal so holding the starter button in while wiggling the shift lever with your other hand (trans in neutral) takes up the slack against the switch.. If the engine tries toturn over replace theshift indicatorswitch. Renegade

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Although I don't understand fully what you posted Chip, if I'm not mistaken what you are describing is a faulty neutral switch, that's why the bike starts when you wiggle the gearshift lever.
A new neutral switch should fix this problem.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Renegade you seem to have hit the nail on the head...areyou a carpenter !!!
:cheeky1:yes it is, that when the bike is in neutral that wiggling the shifter it does at times make contact and turns over the starter,and in the right spot will start the engine when at the same time start button is depressed.I would rather not take it apart and replace the neutral safety switch which is, I think inside the engine. You had mentioned the plastic holder and shift indicator switch, where might this be... I should get a repair manual maybe I AM :?stupid EH canadian!!! and where does a wire or rod(cable) enter the engine to the neutral safety switch.
the other concern is the headlights at times not coming on at start up unless I wiggle,(a lot of that wiggle thing here), the high to low beam then lights stay on unless "at times",when Iputit inreverse the lights go out and I must toggle high low beam to get them on again. this is not as important a matter unless the two problems are interconnected.

you are most helpful and I appeciate your time spent triing to help me out

from Vancouver Island BC to you THANKS:)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

:)Englishted, thanks for your response to my problem, It is so nice that there are people out there that are willing to help, like on the road last summer. such a different world, of meeting and greeting other bikers.

Is the neutral switch you mentioned the one inside the engine at the front, where the oil filter is attached? the shifter itself does not look like anything (wires or other) lead out from that area, is there something under the gas tank that I should be looking at?

will be in touch thanks a bunch,:waving: chip on vancouver island

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

JASON!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wassa repair manual say about the location of the shift indicator switch... Please...:action:

CHIP!!!!!!! Sounds like you have yet another issue here... Electrical problems can be a bag of worms. Before changing the shift indicator switch,, check out this other problem with the lights. I'm leaning towards an electrical disfunction now. I've worked on bikes with accessories that were installed by a gorilla who butchered the main wiring harness on the bikes which created all kinds of problems.. If you have any accessories, MAKESURE all the connections are tight and if at all possible, soldered together. Not to ramble on, (just a little), a bikers tail lights were flickering all the time (GL1500) and he had the add-on side cornering / directional lightsmounted to the front fairing.. (Tail lamps --- front lights) HHMMMM!!! I traced the wiring for both ends of the bike only to find he had slipped the front lamp wires into the tail lamp harness connectors and just left them there. Intermittent connections from vibration and flexing, caused the tail lights to malfunction... Took me just over 3 hours to find that one...

Look for the obvious first because most electrical problems are easy to repair but a bear to find. :(

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Well sorry I had not been in touch right away,,, buzy with things out here. Took the bike into a shop yesterday...waist of money in a way yet it was either that or get the manual to repair it myself, not knowing what other problems may be encountered alone the way. Someone is interested in buying the bike at present and just have to get it working. Looking forward to getting another one day, have to ride :D. Thanks sooooo much for your input and hope to talk again maybe over another bike THANKS AGAIN for your help

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

If you are still reading Chip, you can check the gear switch by running the light green/red wire to earth. This bypasses the switch so it will start in any gear, but the neutral light will stay on in all gears. If the bike starts with the wire grounded than you know the switch is faulty.

Renegade, the switch is on the right side of the engine, near the back of the cylinder head and the dipstick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.