Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my fellow brothers...I need some help. My wing broke down 5 days ago..lost power and died. I tried to get it restarted but would just get a rumble here and there. Luckily it broke down in my work parking lot. Took it to the shop and they had it for 3 days. They said it was possible that the loose positive cable could have been the culprit. I put that battery in less than a year ago and i know i would not have left a cable loose. Apparently they could not reproduce the problem. Charging and battery and fuel pump were all checked and working in good order. Ran Beautiful home from shop and a couple of days later i took it for a 45 mile cruise and it ran flawless. The next morning today, I took it out of the garage, started it without choke and it started right away like it always does, then tried to engage the choke to run the rpms to 1500 or so and it would kill the bike. I turned choke back off and restarted the bike and ran the rpms up by throttle for a few seconds,,,it stayed running for about a minute and a half and then died. I restarted and took off. I could tell bike was not running smooth like it should..got a mile down the road and it started to bog going down hill and it died. I had to keep restarting to limp it back home. Bike smelled hot or if something was burning when i put it back in the garage. If anyone has some insight on this issue i would greatly appreciate it. Just paid almost 300.00 for them to look at it and change a few fluids...very frustrated :praying:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay my fellow brothers...I need some help. My wing broke down 5 days ago..lost power and died. I tried to get it restarted but would just get a rumble here and there. Luckily it broke down in my work parking lot. Took it to the shop and they had it for 3 days. They said it was possible that the loose positive cable could have been the culprit. I put that battery in less than a year ago and i know i would not have left a cable loose. Apparently they could not reproduce the problem. Charging and battery and fuel pump were all checked and working in good order. Ran Beautiful home from shop and a couple of days later i took it for a 45 mile cruise and it ran flawless. The next morning today, I took it out of the garage, started it without choke and it started right away like it always does, then tried to engage the choke to run the rpms to 1500 or so and it would kill the bike. I turned choke back off and restarted the bike and ran the rpms up by throttle for a few seconds,,,it stayed running for about a minute and a half and then died. I restarted and took off. I could tell bike was not running smooth like it should..got a mile down the road and it started to bog going down hill and it died. I had to keep restarting to limp it back home. Bike smelled hot or if something was burning when i put it back in the garage. If anyone has some insight on this issue i would greatly appreciate it. Just paid almost 300.00 for them to look at it and change a few fluids...very frustrated :praying:
bike had only 21,000 miles

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
You have a fuel delivery issue, pump, filter or auto fuel valve.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they said the fuel pump was checked...filter looked okay..and the auto fuel valve? is this the same as the petcock? if so i rebuilt this last year with the kit..im definitley buying a new filter and installing

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
How and why would the shop check the fuel pump if no problem was found, it was running good while they had it. If it was running good they could easily say fuel pump OK along with everything else. They could not duplicate your problem. Was there an extra charge for testing fuel pump and is it written on repair order.

When you rebuilt your fuel valve what procedure did you use to test your work?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...and the auto fuel valve? is this the same as the petcock? if so i rebuilt this last year with the kit...
Yes same thing... Try By-passing it temporarily.

The re-build kits seem to often produce bad results.

Also, what are the symptoms when it dies? eg Still slow or sudden shut off of the engine? Still have all electrical lights on dash? etc

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also, what are the symptoms when it dies? eg Still slow or sudden shut off of the engine? Still have all electrical lights on dash? etc
slow shut off like its loosing power.and i have all lights on.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Next time it happens take the fuel cap off maybe the tank isn't venting also check the vent tube on the cap.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry it has been a while getting back...they charged me a general amount for labour..it says they checked the fuel pump,,fuel filter..carberators. as far as the auto fuel valve, I had put it in my self and it broke down on me. I took it to the shop and he said i had the rubber piece upside down..he put it in the right way and it worked fine since.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Next time it happens take the fuel cap off maybe the tank isn't venting also check the vent tube on the cap.
well it did it again this morning...wanted to ride to work this morning because it has been running fine since i had taken it on several short rides of 40 or 45 miles or so with no issues. started up without even choking...took it out of the garage and within 5 to 8 seconds of putting it on the kickstand it started sputtering and i remembered that you had said to take the gas cap off to see if it made any difference...it did not. I started choking to get it running good enough to park it back in the garage. does the wing have a sensor if the bike is leaned to much? my driveway has quite a grade

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Alex...how do you temporarily bypass the auto fuel valve?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bike acted up this morning and i took the cap off with no change...also i dont have a vent tube off of the cap

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
followed the diagram of bypassing valve...started up and ran good...throttle response was good..but is it supposed to kick alot of smoke and rich fuel when this is done?

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alex..is it normal for the bike to run rich and kick alot of smoke out when bypassing valve? throttle response was good..didnt act like it was missing like 5 minutes prior

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
does anyone have a recommnedation for a good rebuild kit for the auto fuel shut off valve?

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Something severely wrong is going on in your ride.

Either the floats or float valves picked this instance to screw up or a previous owner put a high pressure pump in with auto fuel valve problems allowing it to run but with problems.:?

Now would be a good time to test fuel pressure and volume as a start.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
The low pressure GW pump should just dribble the fuel out no more than an inch or so IIRC. If it shoots like a fire hose. NG.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.