1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Short senario...

Bike shut down while traveling.

All electrical coponents work except no power to fuel pump... which works when connected directly to 12 volt power source.

I perform the Fuel Relay test.. no go.

Perform electrical tests to wires connected to Fuel relay... no power in wires

Check all fuses and relays... all check out "OK"

I'm perplexed....HELP PLEASE

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Could be a bad ground wire going to the relay, or a bad ignition switch. Have you checked the fuses with an ohm meter? A fuse might look good, but still could be bad.:) BTW, welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some ideas.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

You are aware the fuel pump only has power when starting or the engine running. I hope the info I have is correct. Power is from the ignition switch to #11 fuse then through #6 relay to the ECM which outputs to the fuel pump by a black/blue wire.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

David is correct. I will add that power is supplied for a couple of seconds to the fuel pump when the key is turned on or when the ermergency stop switch is swithed to run. After that the motor needs to be running for the pump to operate. One would not want the fuel pump pumping fuel if the motor is not running.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I will recheck all fuses and relays again... with OHM meter..
David says... Power is from the ignition switch to #11 fuse then through #6 relay to the ECM which outputs to the fuel pump by a black/blue wire.
On that issue.. If all other electrical coponents work when the ignition is set to on.. would that indicate that the ECM is faulty?
Thanks for the quick suggestions.
Larry

·
Administrator
27,770 Posts
imported post

Don't be too quick to condemn the ECM. check the fuse for power on both sides, if Ok then check for power to 2 pins in the relay socket, OK then switch the relay with another one like it.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Something to keep in mind. My fuel pump worked fine on the bench, but upon closer inspection, it only worked once in a while.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Thanks to all... I will not be able to work on the bike until Wednesday... I let you all know how it goes
Larry

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

I have check relays and fuses... OK
I check for power to each relay socket...
My question is... With the ignition in the on possition and the run/stop in the run should there be a 12 volt reading at all relay box sockets? If not does this indicate the "Ingine Control Unit" is bad or someting else?
Thanks for your ideas.
Larry

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

Send me your email address and I will send you a word document containing a trouble shooting guide

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

Maybe this doesn't apply to your 1988 GL 1500 but you may have a fuel Pump Relay in the circuit. We concluded on another thread that Daveo430 is using a 1994 Service Manual and my Manual is not correct for later year GL 1500s.:baffled:
From my Honda Goldwing 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual:
On the 1989 GL 1500 12 volt Power is supplied by: Hot At All Times Fuse #2, Ignition Cruise Fuse; through the #8 Ign. Cruise Relay, energized with Ignition ON; through the Engine Stop Switch; through Fuel Pump Relay to the Fuel Pump. The other side of the Fuel Pump is connected to Ground.
The Fuel Pump Relay is energized and de energized by the fuel Pump Relay Control out of the Ignition Control Unit.
My 1989 GL 1500 Electrical Manual picture shows the Fuel Pump Relay at the bottom of theTrunk about 6-10 inches to the left of the Shock mounting bolt (Behind Right Saddlebag). Has a 4 pin White connector on it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

To all who attempted to help with this problem...
Praise the Lord the problem is solved.
After hours and much frustration...
It all boiled down to a loose wire contact on the Emergency On/Off switch. It was connected but upon deeper evaluation... the connection screw was starting to loosen up thus causing all the problem... Hope this may help others if this problem arrises elsewhere

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.