Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1988 goldwing thats been sitting for 2 yrs. Its only got 14000 miles on it and ive got more time now to ride so im getting it ready. My problem is it will start and run with the choke on but wont idle or run with the choke off. I drained the fuel and put new in to no avail. I wanted to ask and see if theres something i should try before i pull the carbs . Also if i have to pull carbs does anyone have a blow up of carbs or know of a site that i can get that. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Dale

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Dale! When I bought my '85 it had sat for 2 years. I tried several brands of fuel cleaner, even pouring in more than the bottle recomended.
In the end I pulled the carbs, removed the float bowls and used spray carb cleaner and compressed air.
What I found was the idle jets were clogged and the idle screw was screwed in so far the bike was idling on the low speed jets....well, it was trying to.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I know this sounds daft ....but have you tried turning up the tickover/idle adjust just inside the gas filler flap?Ciaran

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

You may have to pull the carbs.

There are a couple of sites with "Microfiche" style parts listings, Bike Bandit is one, Parts Fish is another.

You may want to check the fuel petcock valve by applying an external vacuum to it and see if that helps.

As I'm sure you've already seen, there's a mile of vacuum hoses under the plastic, they get old and with the heat and age, they crack, vacuum leaks can severely affect quality idle.

Lastly, the rubber diaphragms in both the carbs and petcock are issues, they get brittle with age and both will affect idle quality.

Clymer makes a pretty good manual for these bikes about $40.00

When warm does the bike go down the road OK ?

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

I've bought recently a 1984 who sat for 4! years. I've pulled the carbs and had them ultrasonic cleaned. Even better than new!!! Ask your local dealer.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey drm1800 :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.