Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The local cycle shop wants $350.00 to change the fork seals on my GW. Can I change the seals and leave the fork down tubes on the bike or do I need to take the forks off?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

It is really easier to take them out and probably faster. I know some people leave the tubes in the yolks but I found it took longer, was difficult to see and get to the clip and was a killer on my back.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

have to agree with eddie i find it easier to have things out where i can deal with it. i do also think that's a personal pref. as many others will say leave on bike, 6-1 half dozen to the other:action::waving::cheeky1: sh#t bring your stuff north to riesel and i'll help ya. remember 350 buys alot of beer:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
imported post

I just replaced the springs and seals on mine. Left the tubes in the bike. Not a problem at all. I used one of those roll around seats with a parts tray underneath. As long as you have good and deep snap ring pliers, you should be ok. for $350, I would definitely do it myself. It was really easy. I could make a ride out to SA and help if you have the tools. Maybe we could make this a GW party time for Texans! :)

When do you plan on doing it?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

That 350.00 must include the bushings too, right?

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I haven't decided on when. I need to get a rear tire for my 82 GW so that I am not with a bike to ride. Thanks for all of the advice and offer for help.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

its easier and safer to work with them off the bike.. some people think its hard but its pretty easy, and working with them in the bench makes the work even easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.