Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought this goldwing with being told it was the carbs were dirty...
well with further investigation ..i found out that the bike cranks over good
but has no spark to any of the cylinders...so i checked the kill switch..and
have power going threw it..on run...and then went to the check the fuses
and relays..fuses are good...and relays are good swapped them ..around...
still nothing...then went to the kick stand switch and by passed it..
and still nothing..so went to the tilt switch..and looks good..by passed it and
it still wont start....

then i went the black white wire and have my proper voltage...and power
to the kill switch and back to the computer...and also tried running direct batter
voltage to the ecm .and still nothing...no spark

then went and changed out battery ..just to rule that out...and still nothing

went to the ohm out the computer and seems ok...

so went to the pick up coils and one ohm out at 480 ohms...the second one
came in at 480 ohm and keeps climbing up on ohm..we got to 850 ohms
so i am assuming that it is shorted ....

any one else have some things i can try ...to look at??? you can send me a message here or
sent me a message on face book..under alan jones from farmington mn
or give me a call or text to 612 296 3940

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also forgot ...i did a compression check and got 150 across all 6...and the yellow wire has power ..and the black white wire has power...12 volts..
also i understand that the pulse pick up coils send a signal to the computer that grounds out the yellow wire to the coils

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
I don't know why an ohm meter does that sometimes. I am not sure if it means something or not.

I prefer testing the pulse generators in a more real life situation. I wold find the PG wires at the ECM and check them while cranking the engine. I would expect to see a volt or 2 AC while you crank the engine. If you have an analog meter set to it's lowest range you might actually see the AC voltage pulse when the needle jumps. If you find the 2 signal wires just check between each wire and ground. You should see the pulse if all is well.

I'm assuming you checked for 12 volts at the coils with the key and kill switch on????

I wish Dbohrer would chime in now. He has the 88 and 89 manual. I do not so I will let you decipher the wire colors yourself. I hate to tell you wrong and send you on a wild goose chase.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,198 Posts
so went to the pick up coils and one ohm out at 480 ohms...the second one
came in at 480 ohm and keeps climbing up on ohm..we got to 850 ohms
so i am assuming that it is shorted ....
NO, it is NOT shorted.
Explanation:

the pulse generators are a coil of extremely fine wire, and as such, they have a LOT of Inductance.
Inductance prevents current from flowing fast on a surge...

The ohmmeter, "hits the coil" with a voltage "in series with" the ohmmeters internal resistance.
as the coil's Inductance falls off, the ohmmeter reading starts changing...

but, it should be going down in value, not up. I think the winding is "OPEN" and you are measuring Capacitance.

Ergo, IMO, the pulse generator is bad.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
NO, it is NOT shorted.
Explanation:

the pulse generators are a coil of extremely fine wire, and as such, they have a LOT of Inductance.
Inductance prevents current from flowing fast on a surge...

The ohmmeter, "hits the coil" with a voltage "in series with" the ohmmeters internal resistance.
as the coil's Inductance falls off, the ohmmeter reading starts changing...

but, it should be going down in value, not up. I think the winding is "OPEN" and you are measuring Capacitance.

Ergo, IMO, the pulse generator is bad.
Not sure I understand it completely but it is good to know there is a reason why ohm meters can act strange at certain times. I do understand how and why the value drops when checking a capacitor with an ohm meter..

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds to me like the pulse generators are bad, you are testing them when unplugged at the block connector?
As you have to loosen one tensioner to get the pg out and the bike is new to you might be a good idea to replace the belts at same time.
As the good people on here told me when i had a similar problem on a mates trike the ecm on these rarely go bad, the one i was working on even had the po connect a jump battery backwards and was still ok

1 - 6 of 6 Posts