Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone know for sure if you can use the later model rubber dampers on a 89 1500?? I'm changing my rear tire and want to fix anything wrong while I'm in there but according to the manual the 89 dampers are pressed in later years not and the parts for an 89 are not listed..don't know mine are bad just trying to get my ducks in a row!! To answer my own question no you can't!!!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

88 and 89 don't have a listing and the price of the rim is different than the rest of the years(cheaper), but I don't know the difference. I'd hate to find out it needs changed and not be able to find them!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I spent some time looking and they only come with the wheel assy.

My thoughts are if they look good, run them.

Also, I am working on seeing if the later wheel can be made to work easily. I have heard that the rotors will swap, as well as the brake caliper brackets, and the 96 and earlier final drive hubs.

Bill

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Bill I called the local dealer today and he didn't know. I would like to get a second rim to have a tire mounted on to do a quicker swap later but would be a real drag if it had to be an 88-89 if I can't find one easily. And I haven't looked at the dampers yet(changing back tire tonight) but haven't noticed a problem in the ride but have a vacation coming up in 9 days and plan on putting on 2500-3000miles 2-up and pulling a trailer if they didn't look good would hate to have that fact rolling around in the back of my head. Can you PM me if you find out something solid and I'll do the same. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Will do.

I can tell you that you would also need the drive flange for the later wheel because that is made to fit the wheel (early have a different number of pins).

I plan to pull mine apart soon to inspect everything and install a new tire. I have a 93 wheel assy (swing arm, caliper and bracket, axle, wheel, hub, flange,...)to test fit, its just a matter of when I have a chance.

Bill

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks Bill I appreciate it. Be nice if just had to change the drive flange!!

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Rubber dampers look ok, tire was about shot but who can complain I got 17,000 miles on it and don't know how many PO put on it!! Might have made the trip but didn't want to take the chance with wife and camper in tow for 2500-3000 miles better safe than sorry! Thanks to Rudy for online jacking tips made the job a lot safer!!!! He is a wealth of information and good products also, if you haven't checked him out you should!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.