Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am having trouble when my fuel level gets below half a tank an i turn the bike off after riding for a bit i can smell gas like it is flooded and it is hard to start let it set for a time and it will start right up. some one told that it could be the vent on the gas cap and to get one that has a vent line the said that is way honda changed to this type cap. if not this than what could be the trouble. THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE M

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

Try taking the cap off and soaking it for a couple of days in Sea-Foam or the equivalent. The vent's may just be clogged.

Also, I've been told, the gasket can cause problems when it gets old.

I have a brand newOEM gasketin my garage somewhere. You're welcome to it, if you can find it. 'Cause I can't. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
Try taking the cap off and soaking it for a couple of days in Sea-Foam or the equivalent. The vent's may just be clogged.

I have a brand new OEM gasket in my garage somewhere. You're welcome to it, if you can find it. 'Cause I can't.  :baffling: 
My garage is full of things like that Dennis. I put them away safe so they don't get lost. Trouble is I can never find them again.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

I have a brand newOEM gasketin my garage somewhere. You're welcome to it, if you can find it. 'Cause I can't. :baffling:
My garage is full of things like that Dennis. I put them away safe so they don't get lost. Trouble is I can never find them again.
I am also a charter member of this club.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem on my 1988 which has the same cap. I replaced the cap gasket to no avail. Also replaced the fuel auto shut off valve and that helped but still too much pressure in the tank when half or less full. I switched back to 93 octane and that really helped. Many folks totally disagreed with the 93 BUT it worked!!!! Too much ethanol in the gas today and that combined with the 87 octance caused way too much pressure in my tank,

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,761 Posts
imported post

I'm sorry Duck, but I don't see how octane could make a difference in tank pressure. Are you sayinghigh-test expands differently than lower octane fuel?

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

I was advised that the 87 octane developes more BTUs at a lower temperature therefore causing the fuel to build up pressure in the tank faster. The adviser is an ASE certified mechanic.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
imported post

Wilson02 wrote:
Bike...and Dennis wrote:

I save everything for years. When I get tired of stepping over it or having to move it around, I throw the item away. A week later I NEED the part NOW. It never fails....-Rich

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Redeye1620 wrote:
I save everything for years. When I get tired of stepping over it or having to move it around, I throw the item away. A week later I NEED the part NOW. It never fails....-Rich

Me too Redeye, I guess that is just how the world works. :smiler:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.