Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Now I'm confused....again.:?
I thought that Honda quit making the 1200's in 1987! I just talked to a guy that has a 1989 GL1200 Interstate. I thought that he was mistaken and that it had to be a 1500. Well, I Googled the 1989 GL1200 and found several.
So...what's the deal?

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum!

They are mistaken. GL1200's were only made from 1984-1987. If you or he looks on his serial number plate it will list the mfg. year. If it's a 1200 it will not be 1989.

That said, some countries have documentation that lists the year as an import year or title year, so maybe an Wing manufactured in 87 gets imported new into the UK in 89, then it might get tagged as an 89 model, but the mfg year is still 87, not 89. To my knowledge this was never done in the US. I do know in the past that model years in the US ran from July - June though, for cars, not sure about bikes, so a car made in July of 86 would have a model year of 87, and a car made in June of 86 would have a model year of 86.

John

·
Premium Member
8,921 Posts
imported post

The GL1200 was made from 1984 thru 1987. The last GL1200 made was in 1987.

When you google 1989 GL1200 the search engine searches for 1989 and GL1200 and combines the results. If anything was improperly entered such as 1989 GL 1200 for sale it will pick those entries up also. All search engines work the same they search for key words...

If I'm wrong or someone can elaborate better Step on in. I'm not a computer expert by far, just my .02 cents worth

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's wrong. I had a guy once tell me he was selling a 1984 suburban, when I got there the door tag said 1979, I also bought a "1985" rabbit convertible once, the owner was so convenced that they wrote the bill of sale as such and were quite upset when I requested they fix it (rabbit's last year was '84, after that it was a golf). People make mistakes.

I just did a yahoo search, the only actual bike I could find that claimed to be a 1989 GL1200 was in the UK, and I'd bet that one is like Jluvs2divesaid, that's just the year is was imported/titled. It could be if there was some fluke law somewhere where the bike came from, and the bike sat on the dealer floor for 2 years before it sold, it may have been titled an '89, but I'm guessing the guy's just mistaken. Like was already said, take a look at it and see what the stem tag and title say.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yep...he was wrong! I called him and he had to get out the title to find out that his bike is a 1985! :readit:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.