Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased a 1989 Goldwing GL1500. It was starting ok for a while. Now when I push the start button, nothing happens. I can hear the solenoid click. I have charged the battery but the bike has a meter and it never shows fully charged. Even with a charger hooked up to the bike I have the same problem so I don't think it is the battery. I have checked all fuses except the one under the seat. I have sprayed contact cleaner on all the switches. I am thinking the problem is the start switch button. Is there a good way to check that switch? I am not a mechanic but can do a lot of things and follow instructions. Any help is appreciated as I am about to the end of my rope and don't really want to pay the Honda shop to figure this out.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
check the dogbone fuse

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had the same issue and it was the battery. Another thing that will prevent starting is the reverse lever is not seated properly. I can't remember if the battery or the reverse lever caused the click but no start. Either way, these are two things that have caught me.

To me, it can't be the start switch. You press it and it knows to make a click right? I will bet it is a reverse lever or battery. This click is coming from under the seat right? Been there.

If you are using a trickle charger, the voltage will be up but you don't have the current to start an engine. You have a bad cell in the battery and that is why you don't see full voltage.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update. I got a new battery, charged it up and installed on bike. Checked dogbone fuse---looks ok. Still have same problem. I'm wondering now if it may be the ignition switch. Also, is it possible for the volt meter to be shorting out and causing this problem? Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Update. I got a new battery, charged it up and installed on bike. Checked dogbone fuse---looks ok. Still have same problem. I'm wondering now if it may be the ignition switch. Also, is it possible for the volt meter to be shorting out and causing this problem? Any help is appreciated.
The fact that your hearing a click noise when pushing the start button tells me your start switch is okay, sound like your solenoid may be the cause. Check the voltage on the battery side of the solenoid, then put your voltmeter on the starter side of the solenoid and push the start button, see what your voltage reads. If you see a drastic voltage drop, 12.5 to less that 10 volts, then remove the lead that goes to the starter and do the same test again, if you see a drastic voltage drop again then replace the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
ANYTHING electrical that looks OK, usually is not.
Have to take it part to see it's contact points.
That's almost always where the non-connections are.

Sometimes it's where the wire is crimped at the wire connector, it could use a re-crimping. If that's the problem, solder it.

Kill switch, side-stand switch, lean angle switch, clutch switch, neutral switch, relays, fuses and (hopefully not) the ignition switch.

Lots of safety things on our Wings.
GL!

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Try pushing in the starter switch in slowly when starting your bike. Mine has a sweet spot and will not start some times if I'm push to quick or in all the way.

My wing is a 1991 se I'd bought a year ago after being 25 years without a bike.
I really like my wing, my buddy has a HD and I find it to noisy for my old ears!

I hope this helps you!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.