Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My friend put the carbs back on today. They were cleaned at the dealer and re jetted with size 60 low speed jets. New plugs were also put in. He had the bike almost together by the time I got back from work. He test drove it and it was fine. I rode about 40 miles with my wife andno problems. I think we found the cure. I will report back after I get some more miles on her. WE WOULD HAVE PUT IN SIZE 55 LOW SPEED JETS BUT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD PUT ON A K&M AIR FILTER AND THE MECHANIC SAID 60 WAS WHAT I NEEDED.Any way so far all is good. I am blessed to have good friends that will help you when needed.

Carbs were not ready at the dealer today, but I will have them on wednesday. Machanic said that carbs looked clean but Ihad them cleaned and looked at anyway as the low speed jets were pluged when we removed them. He also said I had size 50 low speed jets in the carbs he thought that 55jets should have been changed with a carb modification back when the bike was new. I thought thatI read that the modification was fixed before the 1989's went into production. But I do not know for sure.

We will check again for vacum leaks using either starting fluid or carb cleaner before putting plastic on and after changing plugs.

Right bank middle plug was the nasty one but all plugs were some whatoily and sooty on the last two threads and part way up the electrode. Center electrode sticking out the porcelean was a nice light chocolate brown.I am suresome of these plugs were foulde enough to cause a miss. I had been running the bike previously with a little choke to keep itrunning. This might have conrtibuted the the bad plugs. If it still runs poorley after the bike is checked for vacum leaks I will changelow speed jets on the carb to size 55 like the macanic said.

Right now I am guessing that partially fouled plugs and cloged low speed jets caused the poor idle the flat spot in the throtlefrom 800 rpm to about 1700rpm with no response in between and some and some rolling rpms at low speeds.

At least I hope that I have found the cure.

two people about 1 .5 hours to get the carbs out and apart but my buddy had all the tools including a lift and all the knowledge.

What does the middle right bank funky plug mean?

Last edited on Tue Sep 6th, 2005 09:03 pm by jimqtip

jimqtip[/i]

Current time is 09:03 pm

pulled the carbs off today with the help of my friend.

We found no vacum hoses that looked bad. We did find that the slow speed jets on the carbs looked blocked.

I will take the carbs to the shop to be cleaned and put in new plugs.

The old plugs looked slightly fouled, some worse than others.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

JIM

just purchased a 1989 gl1500 with only 27k.The problem is the bike will not hold a smooth idle untill completely warm and then has a bad flat spot on acceleration. flat form 800rpm to about1700rpm and will not hold anyconstant rpmin between. Atpakring lot speeds the engine rpm's roll. Giving it choke will help but not cure. I suspect vacum hoses and possible slow speed jets. Am I on the right track? The 1988 had a parking lot slow speed manuvering upgrade done by honda to take care of a flat spot upon acceleration.Did the 1989 need the same upgrade or was this fixed before they went to production that year.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum jimqtip! :waving:

Sure sounds like the right track to me. Post the results when you get it all back together ands tested. Hopefully thats all you'll need!

An 89 with only 27K! :clapper: Congrats! :jumper:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Could you tell us which plug(s) were worse than the others.

Was it maybe the middle plug right hand bank ???

Boy am I surprised that you found no vacuum leaks. when you get it back together and running, with the plastic off, spray some carb cleaner at some of the vacuum lines and se if the idle changes. If so it indicates leakage, maybe not severe enough to cause problems today, but keep an eye on them. (once a year or so is fine)

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

What color was the fouling on the plugs? Was it black & sooty looking, or brownish and powdery?

Black indicates fuel mixture problems and brown indicates oil problems.. Fouling plugs will give you the poor idle and performance problems you're experiencing.. Once we know what the plugs are doing, we can give you more assistance on how to make a fix...

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

I have a very similar problem with my 88 so I will watch your posts with great interest. How long did it take to get the carbs off? Is it a 2 person job?
thanks Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The carbs can be removed in about an hour or so.. It all depends on how much add-on equipment is in your way. Remove them as an assembly, then take them off the intake plenum one at a time so you don't mix up what position they were in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.