Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding the other day my 1989 gl1500 shut off on me while riding.
  • I have charged the battery.
  • checked all fuses.
    {*} Check on and off switch
    I see that there was gas in the fuel tray. Something is leaking. I also smell gas. Will this make the bike shut down? It will not start at all.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
A bad auto fuel valve (Silver dollar size item in front of fuel cap) if defective will likely cause a stall at road speed, it should still idle though. It will also leak externally or fuel can be drawn into intake causing rich running.

Pull vacuum line off while running and stopped and check for gas dripping from valve and/or hose.

Rebuild kit available from CycleMax.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Does it crank over and will the cruise ON lite illuminate with key on and cruise button pushed in. Neutral light on, side stand lite work?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to have the bike towed home because it won't start

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes all of that is working. I just checked and I'm not getting any spark from my plugs.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
If this was the ride you got run off the road with and the cruise lite is on I would be checking the wiring above the R/side fan for proper connection to the pulse coils. Cruise on lite uses same power circuit as ECM power.

But it seems you got a couple of different problems going on with the fuel leak and no spark.

I can't be more specific lacking the 89 manual diagrams. I have been burned before trying to help as there was slight changes through the years.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went back and checked the cruise lite and its not coming on. Sorry for saying all lights are working. No burn here I'm will to check anything to get Back on the road I have a bike ride I'm sponsoring this Saturday.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
If that lite is not coming on then a fuse or relay (it will say ignition in relay box and on fuse panel) problem. Then it is on to check the kill switch/wiring.

The starter does crank over, right?

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starter does turn over.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Checked fuse its good

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you I will do that now.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pulled the Ignition Cruise relayand check the ohms and its reading 102.9. That should mean it's bad. The manual says 7 ohms across the copper leads and zero across the brass.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Remove the headlight relay and put in place of ignition relay.

Cruise on lite should now be on and it will start, then on to the fuel leak.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks a million DriverRider! After replacing the relay I checked the kill switch and low and behold is wasn't making connection. Fixed that as well now bike runs. Now on to the petcock leak. I love this forum.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After fixing my kill switch and the petcock on my 1989 GL1500 I was riding and the bike stopped again. I checked the battery and it was dead. After getting the bike home I brought a new battery, changed the alternator and i'm still running on battery only. I've checked the complete wiring diagram, check the current from the battery and the main fuse. I can't figure out whats wrong! the bike starts and runs until the battery goes dead. Please HELP!!!!!

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's there anyone who has ran into this problem

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I'm sure it's good. I went to Ken's house (who rebuilds alternators from Indiana) he put it on the tester before I left with it.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
If the battery and alternator are both good it should be rather easy to find as there is not much left. The small wire on the alternator must be hot with the key on. This wire "turns on" the alternator. If it is hot with the key on and engine running you should have high voltage at the big output terminal of the alternator if the alternator is good. High being greater than 13.5 and probably higher than that. If you have high voltage at the alternator then check voltage at the battery. If it's not about the same there is a poor connection, bad dogbone fuse, or break in the wiring between the alternator and battery. Also make sure the battery ground is good. If there is 'high' voltage at both places and the battery is very low when not running it is the battery. Also check battery voltage while cranking the starter to be sure it is around 10 volts or so, or even higher if the battery is charged and in good condition..

If there is no voltage at the small terminal click on the image below. Red is current from alternator to battery. Blue is the circuit that supplies voltage to the small terminal. Note fuse 11 and relay 6 must be working properly. If you do all of the above and still have issues post what you did and what the results are. Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.