Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been covered, in great detail, which i have followed instructions from many articles
i have a 89 GL 1500 that started and ran 2 weeks ago , i went to start it last weekend but it just keeps turning over ,
I`ve done the following checked resistance on primary and secondary side of coils , i have good spark on all plugs I`ve checked that fuel pump is priming every time I turn key on/off ,as well as the kill switch I`ve checkd all relays,I`ve added a relay to ignition coils +12v side changed the battery,so basically I have fuel /spark and compression? what am I missing I`ve checked the timing belts timing because every once and awhile I get a back fire, now on the advice of a Honda mechanic I`ve change the gas to a fresh tank of 94 octane any help would be great

·
Premium Member
12,685 Posts
Hello and Welcome .
It could be the fuel pump is pumping but the vacuum fuel cutoff valve ( next to the gas cap) is not opening and allowing fuel to the carburetors . This could be caused by a failed vacuum line to the valve, or the diaphragm in the valve is failed. for testing , just bypass the valve by connection the supply line (inlet) to the carb line(outlet) and see if it runs.
The backfire or pop could be caused by the leaking vacuum.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
You might have missed the following....!!!!!!

I didn't read that you checked the "pulse generators".....!!

·
Administrator
24,390 Posts
now on the advice of a Honda mechanic I`ve change the gas to a fresh tank of 94 octane any help would be great
A Honda mechanic told you to put 94 octane in it, fire him. Have you checked that the gas is getting to the carbs? The fuel pump running doesn't help if it isn't getting past the filter & auto-shut off.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
You might have missed the following....!!!!!!

I didn't read that you checked the "pulse generators".....!!
Dave, he said in his first post he was getting good spark on all plugs so that should eliminate the pulse generators as the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,620 Posts
If you want to see if you are barking up the right tree take the cover off the air cleaner box and spray a little gas in the carbs to see if it runs or tries to run. Then you will at least know you need fuel. Do you smell fuel when you try to start it?

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Dave, he said in his first post he was getting good spark on all plugs so that should eliminate the pulse generators as the problem.
We have had a couple issues with "pulse generators" being dirty and or bad when folks thought they had "good spark".

Might come down to the definition of "good spark"......just saying....!

Not saying that's his problem but something I would check (among other things).

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The 2 most common things that would cause a no-start condition like that would be:

1) No Fuel:
Try: Bypass the Vacuum Shutoff Valve ("Petcock")

2) Kill Switch on handle bar
Try: Verify screws are tight, on bottom side of switch (need to open the clam shell cover to access them)
Try: Clean the Red and Brown connectors, located above right fan housing

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know this sucks. I have a 1990 gl1500. It was a hard start this year due to our extremely lengthy cold winter...but she did crank up. All of these ideas are good ones..but..to do all of these things will take a long time to figure out wtf is up. I would just drop it off..let the mechanic fix it..then youre off and riding. The amount of stress and hassle your going to escape would be well worth the $500 fee...my opinion.

·
Administrator
57,475 Posts
I know this sucks. I have a 1990 gl1500. It was a hard start this year due to our extremely lengthy cold winter...but she did crank up. All of these ideas are good ones..but..to do all of these things will take a long time to figure out wtf is up. I would just drop it off..let the mechanic fix it..then youre off and riding. The amount of stress and hassle your going to escape would be well worth the $500 fee...my opinion.

If I lived in super cold country, I would put in "winter oil" 0w20 or 5w20 and make it a point to start the bike every couple of weeks, then let it run long enough for the fans to cycle on/off at least twice.

this would keep the fuel system clean and working....
and I would make a point to take the battery inside the house and use a Battery Tender on it. or, as I did a few years, store the bike inside the attached garage, and left the car outside because it was used everyday no matter the weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live In Ontario, Canada. We have very cold winters here..sometimes -40 below. I literally do my fluid changes before winter. Fill up the tank..and dump a full bottle of seafoam in the tank...ride for 30 mins around town..then park it for the winter in my attached non heated garage. Put it on the center stand uncovered, leave the battery in the bike but hook up my battery tender to it...it stays like that for 6 months...i will start it near spring time and let it run for 30 mins...then shut her down again...and thats it.

I know its heavy on the seafoam but i want to get a really good mixture through the lines and carbs for the winter.

When spring comes...i will get out and burn the entire fuel tank...then refill with fresh fuel. I try to add about 1/8 of a can of seafoam to each tank to keep things cleaned up inside the fuel system.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts