Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just purchased a 1989 gl1500 with only 27k.The problem is the bike will not hold a smooth idle untill completely warm and then has a bad flat spot on acceleration. flat form 800rpm to about1700rpm and will not hold anyconstant rpmin between. Atpakring lot speeds the engine rpm's roll. Giving it choke will help but not cure. I suspect vacum hoses and possible slow speed jets. Am I on the right track? The 1988 had a parking lot slow speed manuvering upgrade done by honda to take care of a flat spot upon acceleration.Did the 1989 need the same upgrade or was this fixed before they went to production that year.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Yes, you're on the right track.

The fix was in before the '89's were built.

I'd check the vacuum leaks before attacking the carbs.

How do the plugs look, all the same or is there 1 or 2 that look funny ???

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

The sliders can get sticky on all the gl1500s. Pull the air filter and spray WD40 onto the sliders. If this cures the problem for a while then you know the sliders are on the way out, they don't last forever because they are plastic and the way they sit makes them wear on the downside.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I pulled the carbs off the bike today with the help of my friend.

We looked for bad vacum hoses and found none.

After pulling the slow speed jets out we found them to be pluged. The spark plugs looked oily sooty on the thread ends.

I am guessing that when I have the carbs cleaned and change plugs that I will not have any more problems at low speed.

Am I on the right track?

i

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

jimqtip wrote:
... The spark plugs looked oily sooty on the thread ends...

All of them???

Oily sooty to me sounds like black, wet ??? Fuel fouled.

Looking into the carbs sounds like youre on the right track, don't forget the fuel inlet (float) valves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.