Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just put on side car, any slight bump on road and bike cuts out

due to bank angel sensor, can anyone tell me which of the wires on sensor i need to cut? to switch it off :leprechaun:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

If you are stuck in a bank you will need a bank angel.

I'd replace it. You don't need 800+ lbs laying on you running. Especially if it's losing fuel at the time.

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
imported post

It may be the old bank angle sensor. Honda did a recall on that quite a while ago and were replacing them as a warranty item. IIRC, there was no time limit on having the recall done. You should be able to take the VIN to a local dealer and they can tell you if the recall was done and if not, they are still supposed to do it as a warranty item.

Here's a link to the Service Bulletin: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500%20Service%20Bulletins/1500SB6.pdf

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

pwhoever wrote:
It may be the old bank angle sensor. Honda did a recall on that quite a while ago and were replacing them as a warranty item. IIRC, there was no time limit on having the recall done. You should be able to take the VIN to a local dealer and they can tell you if the recall was done and if not, they are still supposed to do it as a warranty item.

Here's a link to the Service Bulletin: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500%20Service%20Bulletins/1500SB6.pdf
Think that was US only.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

i,ll look into it and see if it was left in for recal,if it has been done,can i go ahead and disconnect the unit,does it do any harm to other electrical parts on bike?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

No harm.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

i,ve tried to cross the red an white wire of the sensor to disconnect the sensor , but then the bike won,t start up , any ideas how i can disconnect it alltogether, three wires coming from it , rw w g ?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

G goes to R/W

W stays open. At least that is what it looks like would work to me from the schematic.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks rudy i,ll go at it tomo morn , thats a great help , back on the road tomo all going well ,:leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
pwhoever wrote:
Not in the UK it seems. I just got onto Honda UK 0845 200 8000 to see if my1991 GL1500SE has been 'done' (as its really alarming to overtake with no engine) but they told me their database only goes back bikes that are ten years old or less! So it doesn't actually exist.... ah well.
I did discuss it with an ex-dealership today too and they said, oh yes, but it only affected european models in very hot weather.... they gave me the phone number.
So now Im not sure. The dealer (that was till recently) said engine cutting out is probably NOT the bank sensor but the ignition switch (which has, I'll admit, seen better days...I can take the key out in ANY position... but surely if the ignition was intermittent then it would have re-started when I clutched and hit the starter (it didnt turn over at all) but if the igition had gone off and stayed off then the oil light would have been off too... and it wasnt. Cycling the igition off and on and I was able to start straight away. So that sounds like the bank sensor right? er?

Think that was US only.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

yep, but my point was UK Honda arent even keeping records!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
G goes to R/W

W stays open. At least that is what it looks like would work to me from the schematic.
> +1

Solder together the Green and Red/White-Stripe wires, leaving the White wire disconnected.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
imported post

I replaced the bank sensor last year on my 88. The bike kept cutting out on me when I hit a major pothole. It was the original unit that had been recalled. I was able to find a new.

Got me thinking though. Is a bank sensor typical on most big bikes? I don't think I ever had one on my other bikes nor do I remember anyone ever mentioning a bank sensor.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Thank Ralph Nader for the BAS... The requirement for that is linked to the bike having an electric fuel pump. DOT (and to be fair, other agencies) address controlling fuel pumping in the event of accident -- Similarly, cars/trucks have enertial switches that switch off power to pumps and other vehicle functions when they detect "collision" level forces. Gravity fed bikes wouldn't have an electric pump - sveral bikes have vacuum operated pumps (fuel won't pump without the engine running), and some of the older electric pump bikes pre-date Mr. Nader's activism.

:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.