Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi, I'm new to this forum/web sight and am hoping some one here may be able to help me. This is my first motorcycle and my girl friend and I are frustrated at not being able to ride. Due to the local shop being very busy, the bike has been unusable more than it has been usable.

My girl friend and I recently purchased a 1989 gl1500 from a friend (I know, I know...dumb :^)). Anyway, the bike has developed a fuel leak while running. A local shop traced the problem to a ruptured diaphragm in the auto fuel valve/petcock. It was repaired, this was in September 2008, and had been operating fine until a few days ago.

The bike has developed the same kind of leak again. The only common denominator I can think of is that I used the choke immediately prior to the leak developing each time. I do not understand what this could have to do with it other than just coincidence, but I don't really know. The local shop believes it's just a coincidence.

I've tried to see where the fuel is leaking from but am not able to find the source. Looking from the top of the tank, I cannot see fuel leaking around the auto fuel valve or any of the hoses leading to or from it. I just see the fuel leaking at a very good rate from beneath the bike on the left hand side when it's running. When I look on the left side, it appears fuel is leaking from above onto a fuel hose (not sure what the hose is attached to, it appears to run from the right side of the bike somewhere?) and running down the outside of that hose onto the ground. The first time this was happening, fuel would puddle on top of the engine block on both sides, this time however, it does not seem to be doing that except for a small amount on the right top of the engine block.

When I had the bike in the shop for the first time this happened, I was told that a common problem of the plastic T fitting cracking and causing a leak was in fact not the problem. The T fitting was fine at that time.

The bike has 46,000 miles on it and has had the carbs rebuilt in the last two or three years and is otherwise in good condition.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Panamamcc

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Panamamcc and welcome to the forum i suspect that one of the float valves is stuck and is dumping fuel out the over flow common prob specialy if the bike has been lyeing with the fuel door open start the bike and pull the small vacuume pipe off the petcock wait for the engine just starting to die then reconnect the vacuume pipesee how you get on and let us know

·
mmonsterbuck
402 Posts
imported post

pan,if float is sticking mabe try putting in sea foam in tank, give it a run. i had trouble with carb plugen up,put the whole can in, filled tank. started it and turned idle down as slow as i could. let it run for 10 min. and that did it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.