Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am about to go pick up my "new" 1989 GL1500. I am trying to find information on what normally goes wrong with this year. Seems like the carb overhaul is a big issue, alternator bearing, anything else? Anybody have some links to articles etc. Does the carb overhaul fix the problem for good or do you have to have it done repeatedly? It is a beautiful bike - but I will miss my 1982 1100 interstate.

Thanks guys

Mike

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

What color ???

Carbs are generally OK, vacuum leaks are more common. Alternator brushes wear out about 60-70k miles, I replaced the brushes, rear bearing making a little noise, I have an alternator on the shelf if needed (15 minute job). Handlebar switches, C.B., radio and cruise sometimes need a little attention (WD-40 and exercise) and the bushings on the pivot points for the clutch and front brake lever wear out, but are replaceable (mysterious cruise control shutdown)

Has the routine maintenence been done on this bike ???

How many miles ???

I have an '89 that is running great, relaible as a new bike, great mileage ~42 on average,with a little TLC there's no reason not to expect 200,000 miles. It's now a game to see how far it'll go.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Red/maroon. 27,000 miles. I don't know about the maintenance. My quandary is I love my 1982 interstate - but the wife says she needs to be more comfortable and the 1500's really are a lot more comfortable. We are going to Nashville next year and she wants to avoid the numb butt syndrome!

You haven't had any trouble with the carb overhaul that Steve Saunders talks about in his tips sheet?

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

I will say the carbs had been worked on quite a few times to fix the rough idle and flat spot just off idle, never helped a lick.

The problem was a vacuum leak in the fuel petcock diaphragm. Vacuum leaks are quite common as the bikes get older and the vacuum lines become more brittle, a little preventative maintenence on these will prevent spending a lot of money trying to cure the symptoms (carbs).

My slides did need a little lubrication once.

Other than the vacuum leaks, and alternator brushes wearing out, mine has been pretty bulletproof.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I am about to go pick up my "new" 1989 GL1500. I am trying to find information on what normally goes wrong with this year. Seems like the carb overhaul is a big issue, alternator bearing, anything else? Anybody have some links to articles etc. Does the carb overhaul fix the problem for good or do you have to have it done repeatedly? It is a beautiful bike - but I will miss my 1982 1100 interstate.

Mike
If it's running well now there's no reason to expect any real problems. The carb issue about the flat spot and hesitation should be obvious from a test ride, if it doesn't it's been fixed. Alternators seem to be more of a problem with the newer 1500s, 97 on or arond there. The rear bearing is easy to replace if needed, ditto the brushes. The front alternator bearing and seal is a little more of a challenge since they weren't intended to be replaced, but you can find the parts to do it through regular bearing shops. I just overhauled my old alternator that had 93,000 miles and was still working though the rear bearing was getting tired. With the low mileage your prospective bike has you probably don't need to worry about it. Changing the alternator is a snap, as Tony said a 15 minute job.

You won't miss the old bike long after you start riding the new one, you gotta love that reverse, the cruise control is the greatest thing after electric start on a long trip.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Just came back from the test ride :goofygrin::goofygrin::goofygrin:I can't get the smile off my face! Needless to say I made the deal. Just ordered my new manual (clymers) You guys walked this newbie thru lots of issues with my last bike - THANK YOU -

Any suggestions on "stuff" I might need? As long as I'm placing an order for the manual might as well throw some filters or whatever you think I might need on the ticket.

Mike

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

If it's running good, you'll just need to change oil every 3k miles or so.

Do you have the intercom headsets ??? I bought J&M from Sierra MC Electronics for $85.00 a piece, some like Edsets and some like Chatterbox.

Might want to think about driving lights for night time driving, I just ordered a new set for mine, I wouldn't go with the showchrome driving lights that fit in the cornering light spot, the bulbs only last 300 hours and ar $6.00 a piece to replace. Whwn I get my light, I'll post a how to and what thread.

Does it have "armor" over the headlight, they're very expensive if you pick up a rock, there's a couple of kinds of armor, plexi and film. I have plexi.

See what you think of the seat, I'm replacing mine, again, I'll post a thread when the new seat arrives.

Other than that enjoy the ride.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
Any suggestions on "stuff" I might need? As long as I'm placing an order for the manual might as well throw some filters or whatever you think I might need on the ticket.

Mike
I'd ride it for a couple months before accessorizing much. By all means get three or four filters and lay in some oil before it gets much more pricey. I like Delo 400, you can buy a case of six gallon bottles that will give you six oil changes.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
By all means lay in some oil before it gets much more pricey. I like Delo 400, you can buy a case of six gallon bottles.
Hey "Senior Guru" jesus dont mention the name of any oil brand, :whip: this will start another thread worse than [blur]deer alerts[/blur] :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Redwing wrote:
exavid wrote:
By all means lay in some oil before it gets much more pricey. I like Delo 400, you can buy a case of six gallon bottles.
Hey "Senior Guru" jesus dont mention the name of any oil brand, :whip: this will start another thread worse than
deer alerts
Damn I'm sorry REDWING I don't know what got into me. It was an accident, I'd never knowingly mention a brand of oil in my right mind, I know only too well the mayhem it can cause on the forum. Actually Delo 400 is a brand of beer.

[suB][suP]I hope that throws the sods off the track![/suP][/suB]

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks guys - Oil choice / deer repellent or attractants - I have not laughed so hard in a long time. I agree about waiting a little while before accesorizing to much. But its hard to wait! This bike is so smooth and powerful - its hard to believe its only 400 cc's more than my old . . . . I forget what I used to have.

I didn't notice the "flat spot" everyone is talking about. Carbs were just cleaned and rebuilt as the bike sat for a while (a couple of years)

I'll get a couple of oil filters to have on the shelve.

Hey Tony96 let me know about the lights - ya can't have enough for driving at night.

I am so psyched I probably won't sleep thinking about riding tomorrow - sunny and 75 degrees :D

Thanks guru's and guys

Mike

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:

Damn I'm sorry REDWING I don't know what got into me. It was an accident, I'd never knowingly mention a brand of oil in my right mind, I know only too well the mayhem it can cause on the forum. Actually Delo 400 is a brand of beer.

[suB][suP]I hope that throws the sods off the track![/suP][/suB]
jesus you must drink a lot of beer. :stumped:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Whatever it is we must never mention it's true function.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
imported post

Hey MJohnson. I have an 89 and it runs like brand new. The hardest thing...at least for me...is changing the air cleaner. Spark plugs are a close second. I put a K&N air filter on just so I don't have to worry with it so often. I didn't do it for any performance gains or anything like that. (just so we don't start another deer alert thread). Speaking of deer alerts...mine has them and I haven't hit a deer yet. Damn near got an Elk the other day but deer.........NO. Just enjoy the bike. It's a great machine and won't let you down. :waving: And your passenger will appreciate it also. Does it have arm rests? They are nice for her. You may have to turn the intercom down so she won't snore in your ear because she's so comfortable.

·
Senior Guru
4,293 Posts
imported post

Like Mike said. I have to provide her with mp3 player, or she'll go to sleep. It's a great ride. I can go 400 miles without a real break, and no S. B. Great mileage, lots of power, but hat the fickleness, when it's cold. Used to injection. If I keep it long, it's getting injected.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
imported post

Mike, the Buying a Used Wing articles elsewhere on this site explains fairly well what you should look for on the older wings.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Congrats on your new purchace Mike. I would wait a while to buy accessories, it will give you a chance to get her how you like. After all, they come equipped enough for comfortable touring. I would aim to pick up the filters and things as you go along and spot them at favourable prices.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.