Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i seem to not be getting gas to the carbs, I tried to replace the fuel filter, but as I look the gas doesn't seem to fill the filter, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
Two possible problems come to mind . Electric fuel pump has failed , or it is possible that the vacuum fuel cut off valve is not opening. This is the squarish aluminum valve next to the filler cap. The vacuum hose going to it may be failed or the diaphragm may be failed . You can source a repair kit for the cut off valve.
As a test you could remove the two large hoses from the cut off valve and connect them together with a splice pipe.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
i seem to not be getting gas to the carbs, I tried to replace the fuel filter, but as I look the gas doesn't seem to fill the filter, any suggestions?
Quick check for the fuel pump is to take off the gas cap. In neutral, key and kill switch on, each time you hit the start button when the engine turns over you should hear the pump in the tank run for a few seconds. If the pump does not run check it for 12 volts each time you hit the start button.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
294 Posts
The fuel filter will never fill with fuel. Most of the time it is less than 1/4 full and it is a bit hard to see.

·
Registered
1993 GL1500 Aspy 1980 GL1100 STD
863 Posts
Quick check for the fuel pump is to take off the gas cap. In neutral, key and kill switch on, each time you hit the start button when the engine turns over you should hear the pump in the tank run for a few seconds. If the pump does not run check it for 12 volts each time you hit the start button.
To my surprise can't even hear the pump in my 1500, totally quiet! Yesterday I disconnected the fuel line and put a long hose on the pump output, used a jumper lead from the battery and pumped all the fuel into gas cans to do some testing on my low fuel sensor thermistor. Could only hear the fuel splashing in the gas cans.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
To my surprise can't even hear the pump in my 1500, totally quiet! Yesterday I disconnected the fuel line and put a long hose on the pump output, used a jumper lead from the battery and pumped all the fuel into gas cans to do some testing on my low fuel sensor thermistor. Could only hear the fuel splashing in the gas cans.
I know mt hearing is not very good but I could hear it run with the cap off. Was a Harley driving by at the time? :)

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
Just as an FYI, many folks assume that the fuel pump should run anytime the key is turned on. That is not the case and fuel pump controlled by the ECU, ECM, whatever it is called. The only way to test the fuel pump is working is just the way that DenverWinger did it and run a jumper wire from the "+" side of battery to the "B" terminal on top of fuel pump mounting plate on top of fuel tank.

But one further step to take is that when doing this, it's best to take a glass jar and raise it up to head height and put that extra gas hose you attached to fuel pump outlet in the jar. If it fills the jar easily, fuel pump is good. If it has a hard time filling the jar, it's a weak or failed fuel pump. Just running fuel line from fuel outlet to gas cans on floor doesn't do enough to check the fuel pump capability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts