Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My reverse suddenly failed, I hear all the relays ticking in but no operation. Whereto?

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Does it try to back up for a fraction of a second? Under the trunk (left side) is the relay regulator. They have a bit of history but those are the typical symptoms. Do you have a manual?

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Johnno, This is what redwing52 "Mike" is referencing.....!!!

If the reverse starts to work then immediately quits:

Check the Red 4-pin connector (green, light blue, white/blue, brown/white wires) under the seat (at the rear, left front edge of the trunk). This is the power for the starter relay regulator. The connector might be loose, disconnected, dirty or contaminated.

If this is not your problem, I can give you a Reverse Troubleshooting Procedure.....!.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HI, It was completely dead no light, nothing. Tupperware off and checks carried out of relays and all fuses. I did find a fault in the diode pack but never went to the reverse controller. i have decided to do without the reverse for now , "cos I want to ride. Lock down has been too long!!! Level 2 has been declared from mid night Tomorrow Monday 17 th August. Thanks for advice received. Stay Safe!!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
When you first turn on the key the bikes instrument panel will turn on all the lights for a bulb check. Does the "R" bulb light for the bulb check? It is required for reverse to work. If the bulb burns out you will have no reverse. The neutral light must light as well when trying to go in reverse.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Johnno, Do this test if you don't have a "R" light....:

1. Remove the seat, locate the Red "22-pin" connector (right rear side).

2. Apply a ground wire to the "White/Red wire in the connector.

If the "R" light comes ON, you know the bulb is good. You will know the bulb does not have a "ground" from the Reverse Control Unit.

Next you want to check if there is "ground" input to the Reverse Control Unit.

3. Check the "Yellow" wire in the connector to see if it has continuity to ground.

If it does, the speed limiter "65-amp" fuse is good.

Then you would know the Reverse Control Unit is causing the problem...!

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
When you first turn on the key the bikes instrument panel will turn on all the lights for a bulb check. Does the "R" bulb light for the bulb check? It is required for reverse to work. If the bulb burns out you will have no reverse. The neutral light must light as well when trying to go in reverse.
I don't believe that is correct.

The "R" light bulb receives "input power" from the tail main relay # 3.

The "R" light bulb receives a "ground" from the Reverse Control Unit.

Then the bulb illuminates....!

You could have "input power" and "ground" to the "R" bulb but the bulb is burned out.

In this case the reverse would work if all else is good. The Reverse Control Unit has "ground" from the Speed Limiter Fuse.

At least that's my evaluation from reviewing the reverse circuit.

But I have been wrong before.....!! Have I missed something....???

But...........................

If the bulb does not burn from lack of "ground", from the Reverse Control Unit, reverse will not work.....!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
I don't believe that is correct.

The "R" light bulb receives "input power" from the tail main relay # 3.

The "R" light bulb receives a "ground" from the Reverse Control Unit.

Then the bulb illuminates....!

You could have "input power" and "ground" to the "R" bulb but the bulb is burned out.

In this case the reverse would work if all else is good. The Reverse Control Unit has "ground" from the Speed Limiter Fuse.

At least that's my evaluation from reviewing the reverse circuit.

But I have been wrong before.....!! Have I missed something....???

But...........................

If the bulb does not burn from lack of "ground", from the Reverse Control Unit, reverse will not work.....!!!!
You could be right but I am not sure Dave. I don't solve many issues but I tend to push the conversation forward. :unsure:

If you look at the schematic for the reverse module terminal #4 is Wh/Red. That is the input from the reverse indicator light. If I remember right (and I often don't) the module want to power there so it knows the bulb is good.

If it sees no power the system goes in to default and no reverse. If however it sees power it grounds the Wh/Red and allows reverse. I think the module needs a signal foe reverse, side stand up, oil pressure and neutral to engage. I could be wrong but that seems familiar?????:rolleyes: I need an emoticon for an old man.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Mike, I suspect you have resolved more reverse issues than I have. I have only been associated with (working on) GL1500's for 27 years.

However, I have worked on four or five reverse issues with varying problems.

Some are easy while others are more difficult...!

You are probably correct, I have been known to be wrong before.:D

·
Premium Member
6,616 Posts
Mike, I suspect you have resolved more reverse issues than I have. I have only been associated with (working on) GL1500's for 27 years.

However, I have worked on four or five reverse issues with varying problems.

Some are easy while others are more difficult...!

You are probably correct, I have been known to be wrong before.:D
As I get older things start to blur a lot more. I know a cruise will not engage with a burned out light. I might have carried that over??? I guess really it doesn't make much difference. If he puts it in reverse and it works or doesn't he will have an idea He is aware of the bulb test so if it passes the bulb test but no reverse light he can assume it is not the bulb. There must be something else the system doesn't like. Lei's wait and see if/what he says next. Then we get another guess. Sure easier when I don't have to do the work. 😎

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
HI, It was completely dead no light, nothing. Tupperware off and checks carried out of relays and all fuses. I did find a fault in the diode pack but never went to the reverse controller. i have decided to do without the reverse for now , "cos I want to ride. Lock down has been too long!!! Level 2 has been declared from mid night Tomorrow Monday 17 th August. Thanks for advice received. Stay Safe!!
Johnno, Did you find the "fault" at the D7 Diode (Yellow/Red and Black/White wires)....???

Disconnect the connector from the Diode Assembly.

1. Red (+) probe on the Yellow/Red wire.

2. Black (-) probe on the Black/White wire.

Results should be "continuity".

1. Red (+) probe on the Black/White wire.

2. Black (-) probe on the Yellow/Red wire.

Results should be "no continuity".

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Mates,
Thanks for all the tips, I admit I did not check wiring circuits but only the connections in the Diode pack. Reverse lamp comes on briefly when ignition is switched on. After our club run this week end
I will have another go. Stay safe, cheers !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts