Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've had a few issues finding the right OEM parts for my 1989 GL1500. I finally figured out that by serial number it was built in 1990, and when I started to look at the 1990 electrical diagrams, everything fit. Still, the exteriorpanels were found in the 1989 catalog. Funny, the turning lights on the lower faring were factory wired, but the plastics were absent of the tabs needed to mount the lights. Nothing some industrial glue couldn't fix, just perplexing that the wiring was there and fully functional and the 1989 GL didn't have them. Why would Honda build a 1989 green/blue GL1500 in 1990 or am I missing something else?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Decoding your VIN, year model and Date of Manufacture on the steering column tag would go a long way on helping to figure out what you have.

Is you Wing a salvage title wing that may have had parts combined from another year bike?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I found out the manufacturing year was 90 from a dealer. He said the 9th digit being an L was for 1990. Title is clear.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

It may have been built by honda for the 1990 yrs run in 89 and they may have needed the stock to fill orders for 89 so they labled it an 89 and gave it 89 colors

wilf

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

What month 89 is listed on the plate. Mine is 11/89 but I have been told by Honda when I am ordering parts to always say it is a1990 model.
Rod

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Great insight. 11/89 is in the top right of the plate. Maybe was a hybrid of some sort. Looking at the plate it is a K, not an L for year. Don't know where the dealer saw an L. I will check the engine and other places to make sure it is not a frankenstine...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

If it was made 11/89 sounds like it should be a 1990 model. Does it say 1989 or 1990 model on the tag? The K does designate a 1989 model.

My '83's were made way back in July of 1982.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

10th digit is the year, 11th is the plant code. (9th digit is a check digit and is used by the manufacturer to check the validity of the vin)

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Sometimes in the transition from one slightly different model year to another you will find recycling of the previous year's parts. Makes it a pain, but it does happen. I had an '85 celebrity with spindals and shift linkages from an '84 and an engine out of a Fierro, I was able toverify that it came from the factory like that. Sometimes it happens. It could also be that someone modified it cause they liked the other parts better.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
imported post

A lot of times as the manufacturer transitions from one year to the next they quit making some parts for the current year. When those run out they just use the next year's parts to fill the orders they have for the current year. I've run into this on a few bikes and cars over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.