Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Coming home from a 500+ mile trip yesterday, going about 55mph on the highway, a loud 'whistling' noise came from up front on the bike. First thought was my front tire sprung a leak. I radio'd the trouble to the others we were riding with and immediately pulled into a parking lot. The noise was loud enough that the others heard it too. Tire was fine.

I shut the engine off, the noise stopped. Started it back up, noise returned, pitch of the noise follows the throttle.Done this several times.Not seeing any steam, fluid, or smelling anything abnormal, determined the noise to be a vacuum leak. After looking everything thing over very carefully, I noticed the idle on the bike near 2k rpm's in neutral, but in 1st gear it dropped to 1200+ rpm's.

Managed to finish the last 90 miles safely, but every time we came to a stop, or I had tol pull the clutch, the engine would run upto 2k rpm's. While downshifting to 4th and 3rd gear, engine stayed at 2rpm's, 2nd gear it would drop to 1500 rpm's, and in 1st gear about 1100 rpm's.

Any ideas what the problem is, and if so, where do I go in at on the bike to find it. What all needs to be taken off to get to the problems???

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

With any luck you can find your leak without taking much off. Look under the rubber that drapes over the spark plugs first and listen carefully. Use some starter fluid with an extension tube in very short bursts to try and notice an increase in idle. Spray all around what you can reach. If you cant find it.....your situation will require something like this for more access. Even with all this off you will still face the possibility of carb removal depending on where your leak lies.

RED

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Dont mind Red hes just trying to scare you :ROFL:the most common place to go is on the left intake manifold there is a sharp bend there that is known to crack and you would get a whistle out of it at the higher rev's you just have to remove the left lower pannel

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
imported post

Look for the hose with green color coding bands on it. On the left while sitting on the bike........I read allot about that one. Locating the general area of the leak will help lessen the plastic removal. Once you get closer to your leak you can begin to feel for soft spots in the rubber that will be at a rub point where it contacts something. Also gently flex a few of your hoses to look for general cracking.
:ROFL: Sometimes I see the glass as 1/2 empty.

RED

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Since you do have a whistle noise, you can always use a lenght of tubing as a probe. With one open end held to your good ear, the other open end can be moved around the running engine to listen for the source. Should help to narrow down what needs to be repaired.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.