Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Haven't cranked up my Wing in two weeks. Went out today to start it up, turned on Ign. switch and nothing. No lights, no radio...NO NUTTIN !!

OK..must be low battery. Put it on charger for 3 hrs. Tried again with switch...NO NUTTIN !!...checked battery with DC volt meter. Battery showing 13.58 - 14 volts (with charger) Removed charger, checked battery again, showed 12.49 volts.

Jiggled Ign. Switch, NOTHING....removed battey cables and checked voltage at naked battery, 12.5 volts. Reinstalled cables, checkedline & loadvoltage at fusible link, 12.5 volts

Pulled fuse cover off other side & checked voltage at fuses, 12.5 volts (line & load)

I'm baffled...I know that the 1500s are very picky when it comes to battery voltage and starting, but I don't get even a weak light on in the dash, nor any movement of gauges.I put it back on the chrger for overnight and will try again tomorrow.

Any suggestions ?? :baffled::baffled:

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Have you load tested the battery? jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Have you load tested the battery? jimsjinx
Not yet........While checking the voltages, I remembered that this happened very similar about three months ago. I put it on the charger (then) overnight and everything worked great !

I don't have a battery tender and I don't keep a charger on it wgen not riding regular, I depend on myself to crank it and run it down the road about 10 mi every week, but the past two weeks weather and work have prevented me from doing so.

If an overnight charge does'nt remedy this, I'll load check it.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

Hey! sounds like a good excuse to ride down to Sumter to help rescue a nonstarting Goldwing before your BIL with the Harley finds out it won't start.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

pauljay wrote:
LUV2WING Me and my wife think you dog had a great look
I think he's really cute but unfortunately it's just a picture I found in a book a few years ago.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi blue wing if you dont have a faulty ignation switch you have a bad ground some were pull the seat and checkthe battery lead ground and in the middle of the frame you will see another i had a prob with this one my selfalso if i remember right thereis one on the bolt that holds in the fan on each side if you give the front fairing a good tump on each fan make sure you have the ignation turned to the on position so you can see when it lights up as to what connection is bad or have some one keep there eye on the dash

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

LUV2WING wrote:
Hey! sounds like a good excuse to ride down to Sumter to help rescue a nonstarting Goldwing before your BIL with the Harley finds out it won't start.

Now, you don't need an excuse to ride down to Sumter....just get on your bike and head towards the east-southeast...you'll be here in about 2.5 - 3 hrs. :waving:

We'll open up a 'Keg-O-Nails'.....or keg of something else, when you get here ! :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

agnogel wrote:
hi blue wing if you dont have a faulty ignation switch you have a bad ground some were pull the seat and checkthe battery lead ground and in the middle of the frame you will see another i had a prob with this one my selfalso if i remember right thereis one on the bolt that holds in the fan on each side if you give the front fairing a good tump on each fan make sure you have the ignation turned to the on position so you can see when it lights up as to what connection is bad or have some one keep there eye on the dash
Well Sir....I think you may have "Hit the Nail on the Head" !! :clapper::cooler:

I went out and turned the ign. switch on and once again NOTHING. :headbanger:

Left the switch on and tapped down at the left fan & kicked the left engine guard...WA-LA !! The headlight came on, the instrument panel came to life and the radio started blasting. Turned it off and cranked it several times and it worked perfectly. :dance::banana::cooldj:

Now the fun begins....gotta remove some plastic to get to that ground connection :doh:....but I'd much rather know where to look for something than to not know...

THANKS AGAIN !!!!! :bowing:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

good man nothing like a kick in the backside to get things moving that ground is on the bolt that holds in the rad just beside the fan take it out and give all points a good rub of sandpaper or wire brush ect might be no harm to give the far side a rub to only a few screws involved

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.