Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi Everyone,

I am very seriously thinking of buying a 1990 Goldwing (my first one), I currently have a 89 Venture. Is there anything I should be aware of on this particular year? Any quirks? Is it overall a good bike?

Sorry I forgot this piece, the bike I am looking at has 84,000 miles on it.I don't know a lot about durability and endurance of these bikes. Should the mileage be a concern?

Thank You so much!

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

I bought a 1992 aspencade about 3 years ago. I love it!! I was new to wings, and have been completly satisfied. Have taken a couple of long trips. This is where it really shines! You will not be dissapointed!!
Wingrider59

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I just bought a 1988 and have been very please with the handling. performance and ride. Your 1990 will get better fuel mileage than the first two model years. The side covers are prone to flying off because of broken or missing tabs that secure them to the bike.

Read this site and you'll find tons of info.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

Your 1990 Goldwing should be good to go overall, you might try to find out as much story as you can, and even then check out all your fluids, brakes, clutch, diff, oil, etc... and consider swapping them out for peace of mind. However on your 1990 compared to my 89 GL you shouldn't have the annoying surging and trouble starting issues that some 88-89 wingers have had (not all mind you). Good luck :)!

-Daniel

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

The only quirk that I found when I bought my 90SE is that it's hard to stop....riding!!:action:

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

I bought a '95 Interstate back in January with 76k miles and did the routine maintenance (timing belts, coolant, oil, rear drive, etc.).

I just got back from 5500 mile trip from Va to California and the bike performed flawlessly in triple-digit heat, a couple of thunderstorms and continuous starting/stopping for 14 days straight.

The only thing I would be aware of is buying it too late to enjoy the remainder of the riding season.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

thank you very much

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
The only quirk that I found when I bought my 90SE is that it's hard to stop....riding!!:action:
it hasn't changed for the 04 1800. :)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

desertlvr wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am very seriously thinking of buying a 1990 Goldwing (my first one), I currently have a 89 Venture. Is there anything I should be aware of on this particular year? Any quirks? Is it overall a good bike?

Sorry I forgot this piece, the bike I am looking at has 84,000 miles on it.I don't know a lot about durability and endurance of these bikes. Should the mileage be a concern?

Thank You so much!
> Nothing unusual about the year.. I just restored a 1990 (140k miles), and it's virtually identical to my 2000. Have ridden it about 5k miles so far and it's great.

> Biggest issue I encountered was to rebuild clutch slave cylinder ($20 and about 1hr work)

> For yours, at 84k, the upcoming big issues will be at 100k miles:
-Need to replace Timing Belt and Tensioners (about $250 parts, and 4hrs labor doing it yourself)
-Replace all fluids (clutch, brake, radiator, drive hub)
-Lube drive train (drive shaft, rear hub)
-Replace rubber dampeners in rear wheel hub
-Upgrade suspension to Progressives on front and rear (unless you like the mushy ride of the stock springs)
-Upgrade the brake lines to Stainless Steel (unless they feel ok to you)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

She's barely warmed up lad! Most run into the 150-200,000 mile mark easily! You take care of it, it'll take good care of you! Good luck! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Based on age and mileage alone, I would not hesitate to buy that bike.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Decision made. It was between a 90 with 83,000 and a 93 with 106,000. Went with the 93. First Goldwing I have had. The only problem I can see with it is it doesn't like to go slow!!!! Thank you to all who have great input!:banana:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.