Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When I drive on a shopping run - several short trips less than 1 mile. my 1500 heat gauge goes way over past the red. Even with a 5 mile ride at 60mph on the highway afterwardsit hardly cools down. I am wondering if it can have fans fitted or? Coolant level fine, no leakage. The local bike shopblokesays that's Alice Springs in summer (where the temp range is 22 - 40 degress celsius). Help and:?ideas needed.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Joh55y

It might be your Thermostat or maybe the waterpump

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Joh55y, do you have a recent history of the bike?..as in, any outstanding "issues",.. perhaps know another "winger" in the area if they have problems?..does it happen during winter?? or when the nights are somewhat more than "chilly"..???. Do the fans come on as the gauge rises?, 'cos if not , you are looking at a thermostat/pump problem or maybe a blockage somewhere?...would a full flush help?..perhaps one of the gurus can help here, I am sure some temps in the US or Mexico can get "up there" also to compare with your situation.I don't think it's just "Alice in the Summer" tho, sounds to me like a genuine cooling issue, and I assume the bike performs fine?...

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

You mentioned the fans. Can you hear them coming on? If not, the fan activator switch may be faulty. I think it is an easy one to get to, on the bottom of one of the radiators.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Water pumps don't stop working, that I'm aware of, they just get bad bearings, seals and make noise and leak. The fans may not work right but that won't cause a problem at speed since they won't be coming on if they did work. I'd say you either have a bad thermostat or your radiators are plugged and need rebuilding.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
imported post

Double check the coolant in the radiator, it could be low then check to see if your fans are coming on. If not then you may have a bad fan switch like mentioned above. Do check that the cooling fins on the radiators are not blocked also. The tempa get the same here in south Texas and we had our share of hotter days this past summer and my bike never got over 3/4 while stopped at lights.

Be careful running the engine with that high of temp, you may blow a head gasket or worse....

Also double check your oil level, it does help to cool the engine.... doubt it's any problem but what the heck.....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Joh55y wrote:
...Coolant level fine, no leakage...
> Where are you checking the Level, in the Reserve Tank or beneath the Radiator Cap?

The level, beneath the cap, should be all the way up to the top.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Newday777 am checking all suggestions .... bike is clean - no debris, runs sweet, starts easily, even when hot.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks John - I didn't know it had fans. It's awaiting a fuel pump diaphragm at the moment and its in at Honda ... I'm taking the ideas being put up to Honda tomorrow.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Alex - it had never overheated previously so info to Honda. Thanks for suggestions and your history.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Girls are good fun - ... and by the nature of replies it's clear it's NOTjust Alice in Summer. I'm onto Honda and on the case ... thanks

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi, when you do have a conclusion, could you share please?, as we are always interested in the outcome.
And............Welcome to this fabulous forum..!! :waving:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

groutby wrote:
Hi, when you do have a conclusion, could you share please?, as we are always interested in the outcome.
And............Welcome to this fabulous forum..!! :waving:
Yes it's always best when the fix is found and shared, for those who read it later down the road with same problem looking for the cure.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hi all - as soon as I have an answer I'll get back to you ... meatime have a great festive season ... Joh55y!:congrats:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hi all - as soon as I have an answer I'll get back to you ... meantime have a great festive season ... Joh55y!:congrats:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.