Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the carbs drain over maybe a week,having an issue with starting after it sets a few days,seems to have to stay on the button too long rather than just touch it as it has been since new,battery is AGM and seems to be strong.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
I know you are pretty sharp so it probably is not the battery. To be sure give the bike a couple of 2 second bursts with the starter just to see what happens. IF no go there pump the throttle 2 or 3 times then hit the starter, Does either of those help?

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
If the spark plugs haven't been replaced in awhile,. I would start there with a new set. Check the battery connections to be sure they are clean, and tight. Check air cleaner, and fuel filter. Vacuum fuel shut off valve should hold a vacuum. All of my old 1500s could be a little hard starting if left idle for several days in cooler weather. Just the nature of the beast, for me anyway. One of the reasons I got a 1800.
gumbyred

·
Administrator
58,741 Posts
when he says 'battery connections', that includes the Grounded end of the Negative lead.
that is overlooked too many times, folks just stop with cleaning the terminals on the battery.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions,some history,I’ve owned the bike for 20 yrs and except for a few issues it has been flawless,I have replaced the vacuum shutoff ( but I will bypass it again to assure it’s ok), plugs were change 10 k back as well as the air cleaner but i will check that again,as all 1500 it had the relay issue( out in the middle of nowhere in AZ) but I changed the back plugin for the relay and that hasent happened anymore,
I runs great,upon inital startup the choke can be set immediately to half choke and it sets there an runs without dying ,by the time I get dressed to ride the choke can be shut off and there’s no stumble and runs clean through the rpm range.gets42 mpg consantly.
I think if the carbs were low wouldn’t the pump fill the carbs before it shuts off,I haven’t tried to let the pump run before hitting the starter button,I have been having a gas smell sometime after riding.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I answered my own question,without vacuum there would be no action in the shutoff.

I think if the carbs were low wouldn’t the pump fill the carbs before it shuts off,I haven’t tried to let the pump run before hitting the starter button,I have been

·
Administrator
25,343 Posts
I think I answered my own question,without vacuum there would be no action in the shutoff.

I think if the carbs were low wouldn’t the pump fill the carbs before it shuts off,I haven’t tried to let the pump run before hitting the starter button,I have been
The pump will run a couple seconds after cranking but It can't pump past the vacuum shutoff.

·
Registered
398 Posts
My 88 will do the same thing if it sits for a week or more. It takes a bit of cranking to get her to fire. All fuel system parts on mine were new in 2012. The fuel can settle back down in the tank from the fuel lines. It is not a pressure system like in the 1800. It just takes a little for the pump to get it back up to the carbs.

·
It aint rocket science
3,854 Posts
I runs great,upon inital startup the choke can be set immediately to half choke and it sets there an runs without dying ,by the time I get dressed to ride the choke can be shut off and there’s no stumble and runs clean through the rpm range.gets42 mpg consantly.
I think if the carbs were low wouldn’t the pump fill the carbs before it shuts off,I haven’t tried to let the pump run before hitting the starter button,I have been having a gas smell sometime after riding.
Firstly, have your battery load tested. Then check battery voltage after it has been setting. If battery voltage is down around 12.2 or 12.3V after a week that is not good and could cause prolonged cranking before starting. The enrichment valve (choke) should not be left on any longer than necessary after starting, it is dumping a very rich mixture into the engine and could be fouling the plugs which can cause the poor cold starting. Only way to tell is pop one out each bank rear and give a look see for blackness. Gasoline smell? Could be a good indicator that a bad float bowl gasket is dripping fuel and would empty the carb(s) which will cause prolonged cranking before starting. Some leak when hot but usual scenario is with engine cold leaks more. Visual inspection will confirm.
BTW the fuel pump is always running whenever the engine is cranking or running. With dry carbs it takes about 18 seconds of cranking before enough fuel in the carbs to start.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m gonna put some dye in the gas and see if can spot a leak,at this time I see no sign of fuel but I don’t have the shelter off,
I don’t leave the enrichner on no more than 10 seconds but I do set it about half to have it hi idle for a few minutes,I’ll have the battery check but from as long as I’ve had it I kinda can tell if it spinning fast enough to crank.
I think I do suspect the gaskets cause it is nearly 30 years old but fuel mileage is still 42.

·
It aint rocket science
3,854 Posts
Dark and gritty areas around the carbs are a good indicator showing where fuel has been leaking for some time like on this set.
DSC_3937f.jpg

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine are like new but there’s a issue somwhere

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
Mine are like new but there’s a issue somwhere
Might well be on to something with the leak theory. It might leak so little that it evaporates before it can drip on the ground. In sitting for a week or weeks it could empty the float bowls.

Second thought. You would think if one carb was empty it would still at least try to run on the other three cylinders. Possible but not likely they both leak?????

·
Administrator
22,185 Posts
I don't see how a bowl gasket could leak when the fuel supply is stopped. If a float no longer does, a small amount of gas may leak after the supply stops but the leak would stop when the level falls below the gasket level.

·
Premium Member
6,123 Posts
I don't see how a bowl gasket could leak when the fuel supply is stopped. If a float no longer does, a small amount of gas may leak after the supply stops but the leak would stop when the level falls below the gasket level.
In most cases you would be right Dennis. On the 1500 the float bowl gasket seals the bottom, top and sides. It is an odd duck. :) .

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Redwing ,you might be onto to something,one would think if one where empty and it started it would miss and not run smooth but when it starts it’s as smooth as ever,today I am bypassing the shutoff valve and ride it,this next week it suppo to get cold and snow in the forcast

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bike has set for couple days now,went out to check how it was gonna do,full choke,hit the starter button ,started before I could my finger off the button, go figure, we will see this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts