Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi ladies and gents,

First I will apologize for this simple question. I don't have a color wiring diagram for the bike yet. If anyone out there knows where to get a good one please let me know.

My Question is: Can anyone ID this RED connector? It is under the lockable right hand glove compartment of my 91 1500. What connects to this?

The PO has the wiring in this bike in shambles. Everywhere I look I have to contend with these wiring issues. They are easy fixes but when will people learn that if they done know how to wire something up properly, have someone else do it for them. "Anyone can do it" attitudes with burn down my garage!!

The PO had a cigarette lighter wired to part of this and to one of the starter solenoids.

Thanks,

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

What I found!!!The bike is full of them!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

ive scowered my manual till i was crosseyed and cant find that conn.even went so far as pulling the pocket on my 1500 and fired it up ,unpluged the conn. and guess what it all worked(sitting inside mind you)ill keep looking for it when i get anough chance,good luck

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Mr Majic Fingers, behind the rear suspension push button assembly are two air solenoids.(ref pages 616 and 261, Clymer '93-95 manual) The wiring goes to the outside one AJ3. The other end goes to the "Engine Control Unit", behind the right side faux tank cover.I guess if not connected it could effect the bikes performance in some way, as the rubber hoses coming from it, one to the carbs, and the other to a filter.As for the other wiring, definately not original, and pretty "dodgy" looking!.
Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
imported post

From what i readin the elc/troubleshooting manual,3-0 page,

Engine control system: asp &se it connects to the air jet solennoid #3.

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks guys.

At least I know what he had it connected to.

Electrical and electronics are my background and I really enjoy doing these fixes. It just upsets me that someone that had a wonderful bike like this wouldn't think enough of their bike or investment to even try to do things right. I just don't understand that mentality. Money comes hard around this family and WE work hard to get what we have. I could never bring myself to abuse a bike like this.

This is another example of what I found. I am now up to 8 joints like this. I keep finding them as I install my GPS on the bike. Not so much as electrical tape on it. Grrrr

Tim.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
imported post

WOW!!! If it were mine, I think I'd strip it down to the frame and repair all those connections before the bike left me on the side of the road somewhere - - - or worse!!!

That has to be really frustrating... I had a good buddy of mine (who has since passed on) who did all modifications to his bike in black wire only... Very difficult to trouble shoot and a nightmare trying to trace problems...

Good luck with the new machine...

Les

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.