Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got this bike a few months ago and the radio doesn't work. The radio is in the left fairing pocketand the display shows the clock but I cant set it, I don't think the radio is powering up at all. all the fuses are ok. the CB will receive but since I don't have the headsets I don't know if it transmits. the CB and intercom looks like aftermarket add ons. This isn't really a problem for me but I found out that my wife tends to fall asleep after about 20 mins of riding. Since I would kinda like to keep her I need to get something for her to listen to.

The solution I've been thinking about is getting a set of voice activated wireless headsets then mounting a radio in a saddle bag with a remote control. Has anyone had any experience trying this? Also if both the headsets and radio are blue tooth will we be able to listen the radio on the headsets

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Your post is kinda vague. Header states 191 interstate, Is that 1991? Also above, it's an interstate, they came with a radio on the center top shelter, just forward of the gas door. You state your radio is in left pocket. So it must be an aftermarket radio. We will need some pictures at least to start of all the pieces including the CB to your puzzle before we can at least try and help you start to figure out whats you got and how to fix or get you pointed in a direction.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Get her an MP3 pplayer for her pocket and some ear buds
By the way im told a # ldies sleep on the back.
Or get her a tablet reader Kindal I think they are called and she could read a book back there. Just gave me an idea for next yrs Xmass present
Wilf

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

although not as cheap as a standard mp3 player if you got her
an apple itouch she'd have music plus if you stopped near anyplace with wi-fi you'd have internet and email use,worked fairly well for me on several trips before i got a smartphone,i still plug my itouch into a cassette adapter for trips when the radio reception is bad

most used 2nd generation itouches can be found for around $100
or so
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPod-...0942?pt=Other_MP3_Players&hash=item3cc08330ce

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

sorry it was supposed to say 1991. It is a kenwood honda radio set up, I'm told it was a one year run from honda. controls on left handlebar, amp ontop of gas tank FM radio (no cassette player)in left fairing pocket, CB in lower left fairing and intercom laying loose inside the fairing. I will try to post a few pics in the next day or two. Is it possible to replace the whole setup with a different honda radio above the gas tank.one from a different year?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Never seen one. Pics please to help others that might come along later and to be of any help to you also.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

here are a few pics

kenwood radio in fairing pocket. under the pocket is the intercomm

here is the CB cut into the fairing

handle bar controls. the switch on the left is for the CB and taped on

amp is where the radio is no most other wings

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

That's Not a stock Honda system for the 1500! The Kenwood radio may be, but that is the extent of its possibilities.
Look at the poor fit on the CB area to the stock cutout.
And Taped on switches?
OH MY! I'll bet Mr Honda is rolling in his grave!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi B King,

They are right... NOT a Honda set up at all. Not that I have ever seen.

Personally, I would take it out and make your wiring safe if it were me. You would be surprised just how bad people can butcher their wiring in installing electronic and electrical devices on a Wing. It's an epidemic of fools out there that think they can wire things up with a handful of butt connectors and a "Test" light. Good Greif!!

You may want to look around for a used 1500 stereo... However...

At the beginning of the season last year I purchased a set of these:

http://www.cardosystems.com/scala-rider/scala-rider-g4-powerset

I cannot begin to tell you how incredible they are on many levels. They do have a radio in them, can attach to a smart phone blue tooth phone for MP3 play back and have excellent quality intercom. Your Bluetooth GPS goes through them as well. If you have a buddy with a set, you can chat him to up to an very easy 1.6 km (1 mile). My friend and I were getting quite a bit further on the highway.

Excellent investment and not tied to any bike. I have "sold" many people the idea on these and not one has ever regretted it. I have bought one set for myself and three others from this guy for other people that did not have PayPal or an e-bay account. Again, excellent customer service.

http://www.acmparts.net/

Link to the actual G4 set on his page...

http://www.acmparts.net/Scala-Rider-G4-BIKE-TO-BIKE-INTERCOM-POWER-SET-detail.htm?productId=10814012&ez=g4

Anyhow, well worth the price and you set so much. Hope this helps.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

thanks for the links Tim the G4 looks like it would do the trick. and your right I was appalled when I open up the pocket and saw the mess of spliced wires, thats the main reason I just want to gut the whole thing and start over! I've been searching for the plastic cover peice to put back in the fairing when I take out the CB, 60 bucks! ouch!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey B King

This is what I found in mine.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/124333.html

I just got the bike back in Aug and went over it a bit while I did some minor repairs and mounted my GPS. I will be replacing the motor in the next few weeks and will have the complete bike apart. I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb with respects to the wiring.

Why the bike never caught fire with the previous owned I will never know. Fools luck I guess.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

looks a lot like what I am finding. this bike had some added lights that didn't work. when I pulled the seat I found wires just laying on top of the tank that had been cut by being pinched. the kicker was the gasket on top of the tank was leaking. rode it 40 miles home when I bought it and Im amazed I got it home now. I got that all rewired then started looking at the radio.A lot of the radio wiring is spliced like in your pics, bare wires soldered together what a mess! 50 deg today and I just got back from a nice ride but I think I'll be tearing into this now and get it all done before spring gets here

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Those anniversary edition 1500's are kinda exta special with that Kenwood setup.

Have alook at the manual (not a service manual) for the radio for a little insight. http://pc800.questofmystery.com/manuals/radiomanual.htm 3- seperate fuses and a sub-harness for the booster... If you pull the console (where the other 1500's have their radio), you'll find 2 of the fuses and the "power booster" under a plastic cover.

Wire color for the fused wires -- red = constant power Black (I thinkit may have a stripe; can't be certain) would be the switched power...

Definitely not the OEM CB, but... interesting work there.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Just for those wondering, that Kenwood really was installed in GL1500's but only in the 91 Interstate. There are numerous threads on this Forum about it. CLICK HERE Also used on Honda Pacific Coasts and some scooters IIRC. The CB however is definitely not Honda and that would be where I would start. Look closely at the way it is wired in. See if you can't uninstall that and maybe get the radio working.

Oops, satan beat me to it....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.