Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just picked up this bike. It has a rough idle and when shifted into gear it will die. BUT if you work the throttle right, you can over rev the motor and keep it running and it will drive ok until you try to turn or stop. Any suggestions? I have been through many pages here but not found the answer yet.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum 91 Goldwing Man

How about some history of the bike's past?
Sounds like the idle jets are plugged from sitting.
Try putting a can of Seafoam gas treatment in a fresh tank of gas, ride it @ 15-20 miles, then idle for 15 minutes to get it in the idle circuits then park it for 2 days to let it loosen up the gummed ports if it will. That or its a carb off, boil cleaning in distilled water or pinesol or soak in carb cleaner in a gallon can for a day.
Change the gas filter, Napa #3003, @ $5.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Just ran a can of seafoam through it. It didn't help. I was thinking of running some Lucas Carb/fuel injector through it to see if that helped. This is my first Goldwing. So working on this is nothing like the 750-fours or the Shadow Sabre that I am used to.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Yup lots more to these than the 1100s too.
Sounds like it may be a carb off deal.

Also check for vacuum leaks in the miles of lines. The ones with 90 deg bends tend to develop a hole in the bend. Use an unlit propane torch as it is running and if the rpms raise you found a leak, check all the hoses and also the manifold bases.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Looks like this bike is coming apart this weekend...I was thinking vacuum leak but wasn't sure...I am dreading the weekend now...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Ah but you will be getting to know your bike up close and personal! Give it lots a lovn' and tell it'll be feeling young again and promise you won't leave it neglected nooooooo more!
Have fun. Let us know with a reply here what you find
That way if someone does a forum search later and reads this they will know what to do to fix theirs.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
...The ones with 90 deg bends tend to develop a hole in the bend...
+1... There's a notorius one located beneath the carb, which controls the engine timing. When it goes bad, then the engine can have an idle problem like you're experiencing.

Read: http://www.hrot.org/martino/carb/index.htm

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Well I started tear down early. I have exposed the carbs...I'm worried that once I pull these off, there will be an expensive bill to put them back on...

All the vacuum lines look old, and slightly weak, so I am guessing the one I need is the one I am scared to go for...Wish me luck!!!

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
imported post

Go for it you are in the best place for help the people on this site are amazing its like having your own personal machanic on tap

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Well, after all the searching, I think it is a fuel delivery issue.

What is the piece right in front of the gas cap and what purpose does it serve? Seeing as how mine is leaking, I may have found the problem.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
imported post

That is a vacuum operated fuel shut off if it is leaking that can cause a fuel delevery problem.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

One more question. Does anyone know if there is a rebuild kit for the petcock? The part number for the petcock is 16970. I have looked but not finding what I am looking for.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
imported post

Cyclemax has the rebuild kits

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
imported post

Well got it back together, it ran fine in the yard for about 15 minutes, so I took her out...1/4 mile down the road, she shut down and wouldn't start back up...Looks like it will be a week or so before I mess with again...That thing is HEAVIER than any other bike I have owned...Going to take a pain pill and muscle relaxer now. Have a good weekend folks. I'll let ya know how the repair goes after I get to where I can stand up again.

And Predator, when you shift the bike into gear there is a surge in vacuum pressure (according to Honda mechanic) and it is apparently enough to make difference if you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
imported post

OK, thanks, I didn't know that. I take it that 1/4 mile breakdown was at the bottom of a hill and the return was pushing.....:smiler:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
imported post

Actually it was mostly flat land lol

Also in the left pocket of the fairing there is a silver knob...WHAT THE HECK IS IT FOR!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.