Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All ,

I have recently gotten a trunk spoiler for my 1991 GL1500 SE ( UK spec ) and I need a little help with the wiring . I'm fairly confident that I can fit the spoiler to the trunk lid but I want to wire it in first so I can route the loom properly.
I have searched through the different threads on here and I've read about a specific resistor on the SE that I can connect to or a connector block under the seat or just cut into the tail light wiring and splice n the relevant wires . I have the seat off and the tray under the trunk off , should I pull the left box aslo ?
The spoiler I have came off a scrapped, same model and year Wing and it has 2 wires so it's a brake light only .
So is there a set way to connect the spoiler brake light ? I'm 'asking those of you who done it before .

Thanks in advance

Eric.

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
You're rigth, the spoiler has only two wires, but recives power thru a little box behind the left saddlebox,
(Spoiler Brake/Taillight Control Module :)3-WHT))
Font Motor vehicle Pattern Engineering Auto part

which acts as a PWM, giving low power while ligths are on, and full power when brakes ara applied
Mario

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply .
Should the control module be in with the resistors beside the fusebox ? . I actually got the covers off both the fuse box and the resistor box and there's a listing of what each of the resistors does inside the cover but no mention of the brake light control module . Could mine be missing as it's a UK spec bike ?

You're rigth, the spoiler has only two wires, but recives power thru a little box behind the left saddlebox,
(Spoiler Brake/Taillight Control Module :)3-WHT))
View attachment 327083
which acts as a PWM, giving low power while ligths are on, and full power when brakes ara applied
Mario

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
368 Posts
Reactions: midwing

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys , I have the left box off and I found the brake light wiring so I'll probably splice into it to power the spoiler light and route the loom under the seat and into the trunk .

·
Registered
See Signature
838 Posts
Thanks guys , I have the left box off and I found the brake light wiring so I'll probably splice into it to power the spoiler light and route the loom under the seat and into the trunk .
Did you get it hooked up?

Just wondering if this could be added to a 89 that is not a SE?

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't hooked it up yet but I'm gonna do it on the weekend. I don't have the same setup as the US spec bikes but I can splice into the wiring loom under the seat and I found info in how to do that by searching this forum .
I'll post how I get on .
As a side note , I wanted to change the blown bulbs that are located under the license plate . In some cases it's just a reflector but I have lights . So they were siezed in solid but I got them out eventually, anyway the sockets are shot but I've found a workaround but that's a whole other thread 😂

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Success !! I got the spoiler light all connected and it works perfectly . My main reason for getting the rear spoiler , aside from it looks great , was to make me more visible to other road users in the daytime and at night .
My Wing does not have the connection for the spoiler light pre-installed so I had to splice into the existing wiring .

Here's how I did it !
Seat off , left box off and then I found the connector for the lower taillights directly under the left storage cubby . I disconnected it to make sure it was going to the lower taillights and tested it with a multimeter ( voltage tester ) to make sure which wire had a 12volt supply on braking . I then connected the spoiler wiring to the live end of the connector to make sure it would work and then I spliced in by soldering in the wires . I had help , my nephew is an auto electrician and is a soldering expert .

Then I only had to carefully route the loom through the bike until it met up with the spoiler , this involved one additional hole in the back of the trunk which will be covered by the passenger seat .
I then installed the spoiler ,that was just a case of careful measuring then drilling and a little bit of persuading .
One final check to make sure everything is working properly and then I buttoned it all back up .

Tips .
1 ) When drilling plastic , remember , drill a small hole first and then go to the next size and let the drill do the work don't force it . This should reduce the risk of cracking the plastic .
2) The wiring loom on the Goldwing is quiet extensive , it's very easy to cross a wire and blow a fuse , but don't panic it's just a fuse :)

Hope this helps somebody else .

Eric

·
1,819 Posts
As far as i know only the US model SE has this "controler" for the spoiler .
But it is not so difficult to build one , actually it is only an resistor to reduce the voltage for running ligths and and diode to awoid "backfeed" .

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts