Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to get some opinions, and I know that y'all are not afraid to share. When riding the trike handles great, even at high speeds. If I hit a speed bump or a pot hole, no matter the speed, I almost always bottom out in the backend, even without a passenger. Any thoughts? I am not that familiar with the rear suspension. I think the air suspension is still working, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
311 Posts
Not being familiar with the shock set up on your trike, it is pretty near impossible to tell you what to do other than get under it and investigate your suspension. You need to get familiar with your rear suspension.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being familiar with the shock set up on your trike, it is pretty near impossible to tell you what to do other than get under it and investigate your suspension. You need to get familiar with your rear suspension.
A little background for my fellow Veteran. I normally work on computers, mainly maintaining payroll systems. I started working on computers in the Marine Corps back in 1990 and can handle most issues that will arise with no assistance. This is my first bike. My father and Uncles were mechanics, but they have all passed away. I have no other family and although I ride with a club, none of them work on their own bikes. Therefore I consider this my best resource and so far it has not steered me wrong.

I have seen how a shock is changed, but I know nothing about how to check if it is a good or bad shock. That includes whether it is gas filled or the stock air shocks. The gentleman that I purchased the trike from has passed away.

There is absolutely no one here locally in Memphis that will work on a Goldwing Trike older than 2000. They either cannot accommodate a trike, only work on HD's or they do not work on anything older than GL1800's. I have someone several hours away that I take to for anything major, but I am hoping not to have to go there.

Therefore please bear with me as yes, I can go out and look at my suspension and get familiar with it, but it helps to have some guidance before I start taking things off to get where I can see everything.

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
311 Posts
I understand. However, maybe you can get under there and take a picture of the shocks for the trike aficionados to look at. Are there air lines connected to them? If there is an air line, it needs to be secure. Maybe yuo can see if the shocks are leaking oil. If they are, you will see a dirty oily film on the shocks.

Do you still have the air shock control on the right side of the fairing? Have you used that control before to add air to the shocks that you believe are still in place? If you did add air, was there some kind of indication that the suspension got a little stiffer or softer? Maybe there is a standard type of shock installed and there is no air shocks at all.

The stock two wheeled bike came with one air assist type of shock on the right and and one spring over oil filled dampened shock on the left. The trike manufacture / installer may have installed air shocks or could have used two standard spring over dampened shock.

I was not throwing stones at you for not knowing what your rear suspension looks like but letting you know that if you can not describe what you have, there is no way for anyone to know how to assist you.

Who makes the trike components that are on your Gold Wing? There have been many manufacturers and all of them liked to do their own thing. There is no standrdization amongst the manufacturers. So, try to find out who made your trike and pass that info along. Knowing who made the trike will be a big step in figuring things out without being there in person.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand. However, maybe you can get under there and take a picture of the shocks for the trike aficionados to look at. Are there air lines connected to them? If there is an air line, it needs to be secure. Maybe yuo can see if the shocks are leaking oil. If they are, you will see a dirty oily film on the shocks.

Do you still have the air shock control on the right side of the fairing? Have you used that control before to add air to the shocks that you believe are still in place? If you did add air, was there some kind of indication that the suspension got a little stiffer or softer? Maybe there is a standard type of shock installed and there is no air shocks at all.

The stock two wheeled bike came with one air assist type of shock on the right and and one spring over oil filled dampened shock on the left. The trike manufacture / installer may have installed air shocks or could have used two standard spring over dampened shock.

I was not throwing stones at you for not knowing what your rear suspension looks like but letting you know that if you can not describe what you have, there is no way for anyone to know how to assist you.

Who makes the trike components that are on your Gold Wing? There have been many manufacturers and all of them liked to do their own thing. There is no standrdization amongst the manufacturers. So, try to find out who made your trike and pass that info along. Knowing who made the trike will be a big step in figuring things out without being there in person.
Thanks briese, this helps. Just needed some guidance on where to go. This weekend it is supposed to get up in the 30's, so I will try to get some pics to add to the post.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Wanted to get some opinions, and I know that y'all are not afraid to share. ....... Any thoughts? I am not that familiar with the rear suspension. I think the air suspension is still working, but not sure.
I got my first trike about 4 months ago, and my first month with it was a nightmare riding it... I knew nothing about it. it's a Champion on a '95 Aspencade.
I got some info at triketalk.com, I would say to check the pressure of the air shock, mine has three of them, and I've been trying to ride with 25 to 40 psi ( 1 or 2 up), adjusted via air shock control on the fairing.
At the beginning they will loose pressure within few hours, but after a month of riding they started to hold on pressure, it seems to me that the oil sealers were dry and after moving a little they got oiled and respond as they should; last time I had to add air was over two months.
I hope this helps.
Mario

1 - 6 of 6 Posts