Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My symptoms: Turn on key, everything comes on as usual, except my Cruise On light does not flash on and then go off. This only happens when the temperature drops. I have been stranded several times. When this happens, the start button will not do anything, but make 1 click sound somewhere around the relays. I am hard of hearing, so hard to tell exactly where.

Already tried: Replacing the Relays for the Cruise and Ignition. Replaced the Starter and Solenoid. Replaced the start/kill/cruise switch assembly with wiring. Checked all fuses.

Once it warms up, instantly starts, with the choke of course. But will not even attempt to turn over when colder outside. I have spent over $3,000 trying to figure this out over the past couple of years. Thought the start/kill/cruise switch was going to fix it, as the previous owner had removed some parts within, but once the cooler weather got here, nothing.

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
Leave the cruise switch on and see if the cruise light remains on, if not it is not getting power from the ignition/cruise relay. The bank angle sensor controls that and could be the sensor or a bad connection somewhere in the wiring.

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
My symptoms: Turn on key, everything comes on as usual, except my Cruise On light does not flash on and then go off. This only happens when the temperature drops. I have been stranded several times. When this happens, the start button will not do anything, but make 1 click sound somewhere around the relays. I am hard of hearing, so hard to tell exactly where.

Already tried: Replacing the Relays for the Cruise and Ignition. Replaced the Starter and Solenoid. Replaced the start/kill/cruise switch assembly with wiring. Checked all fuses.

Once it warms up, instantly starts, with the choke of course. But will not even attempt to turn over when colder outside. I have spent over $3,000 trying to figure this out over the past couple of years. Thought the start/kill/cruise switch was going to fix it, as the previous owner had removed some parts within, but once the cooler weather got here, nothing.
$3,000!!!!!! For heaven sake do not spend any more money until Dave or the Guys work you through the process. Bet you will fix it for $30 or so. :rolleyes:

You spent a ;ot of money on things that could not cause the issue you describe. Should have come on over earlier. We'll get you fixed up. Welcome to our forum.

·
Premium Member
6,632 Posts
Yeah, That Weighted Pendulum in the BAS (dampened by the "oil base liquid") can work different in different temperatures.

I will put my money on the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS). I strongly suspect the wiring and connections are A ok....!!!

I have known of a couple BAS failures (constant and intermittent).

Real sorry you spent over $3,000 on this issue. Next time check with this forum first.....!!

Note: Hang on to your old Right Handlebar Switch Cluster. It is not available for the 1990 - 1996 Gold Wing SE. Or the 1988 Gold Wing.

Some of the parts from your "Old Cluster" will work on the above listed bikes. You could help someone else with parts....!!
Dave,
I agree with one exception. Or maybe I am missing something. When he turns off the bike the pendulum would be in the run position. As the oil thickens I don't think that would change. It should be in the run position on the sidestand just like my bike is now, right?

·
Administrator
26,173 Posts
Dave,
I agree with one exception. Or maybe I am missing something. When he turns off the bike the pendulum would be in the run position. As the oil thickens I don't think that would change. It should be in the run position on the sidestand just like my bike is now, right?
But something is keeping the system from powering up with lower temps, good place to start and fairly easy to check.

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
A starting point of the Ign/cruise relay activation was pointed out for diagnosis some time ago by more than a couple individuals here. What were the results then if your post? :) No more parts replacement, diagnose.

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Any chance the bike has been dropped and BAS is kinda stuck between ok and off,just a thought.

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
510 Posts
You don't say anything about the battery,... They don't work as well when they're cold.

I know, I know, but you gotta start asking questions with the simplest thing.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
He has a Trike. Kinda hard to drop that.

Look at the Web Site DriverRider listed..........!!!! Also look at the "First Post" on that Web Site....!!!

:D
Then it shouldn’t haveBAS?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I didn’t see where it was a trike,he must have had an earlier ,I would remove it just for future chances of failure

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
If folks would "read and follow the thread", they would not need to ask questions.

Some Trike builders do not "bypass" the BAS.

My friends 1999 Trike (not the one pictured) had the BAS in the system. Yep, and it failed....!!!

Maybe you have had a Trike down this far and know a lot about them.....!!
That’s a serious disassembling

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey JD, @DriverRider

Yes that is my old post. Sorry, my wife had a stroke, 2 heart attacks and 2 heart surgeries since then, so I could not find the old post, nor my login information. Since I could not remember my info I opened a new account to try again.

I never got to answer back then, but my troubleshooting knowledge is limited when it comes to motorcycles. The troubleshooting of the electrical boards I do not have the experience do. In addition anything I do I have to get it all back together before days end, as i live in an apartment and do not have access to a garage.

She ran fine all summer, only difference now is that it has to be warmer to start, won’t start below 72 now. Right now the rain is stopping me. I will be able to look at the BAS as Dave suggested on Friday, when the rain is done. It will still be cool, so the problem will be there.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leave the cruise switch on and see if the cruise light remains on, if not it is not getting power from the ignition/cruise relay. The bank angle sensor controls that and could be the sensor or a bad connection somewhere in the wiring.
missed this one earlier Dave. I keep my Cruise on all of the time just because of this issue, which is why I look for the Cruise light.

Thanks for everything

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,700 Posts
do you remember your Original Username?

we can merge things together for you.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts