Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,700 Posts
From looking at the old post, megreenusmc1969 was my username.
Okay, sent you a PM or a 'Conversation' as this new software calls it... hate that term. :(
read it over and let me know what you want to do??

to read your PMs, look on the top Right of the page, you will see a Red dot over your Avatar.
that indicates you have a PM waiting for you.
click on your Avatar and then click on Conversations

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
510 Posts
I'd start hitting things with a blow dryer or heat gun to see if heating something in particular helps pinpoint the problem area - handlebar switch(es), main fuse(s), etc.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Why don't you disable the Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) and see if that does anything for your starting issue. You don't need it anyway with a trike. Here is a picture of how to do that.

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Nodnocdar
26 Posts
You have the perfect condition for "Rock and a Hard Place". One of the guys may be correct however I vote for the hair dryer/ heat gun test to generally locate the problem. This sounds like a broken solder track on a printed circuit board or any similar location. Some solder will fatigue fail from vibration and that causes a thin crack. The crack will open when the temperature is low and close when the temp gets warm. Older Honda automobiles have this condition for high mileage cars and the started relay will respond to the temp change in a manner like you described. The heat gun gives you a fighting chance to locate the the general area that is susceptible to an increase in temp. Then study any of the parts in the area that could have a solder joint on a board. Sometimes the crack is visible with normal eyesight but you need to look with magnifying glass to be sure. Then reheat the joint to close the crack.

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
UPDATE: Just wanted to give everyone an update. I am cautiously optimistic. Weather cleared up, but the temp went up also. I pulled off the seat, found the place where the BSA plug should have been, and someone had done their version of a bypass. They cut the plug off completely. Left a bare stripped end of the white wire laying out and taped together the green wire and the red/white wire. The tape was brittle and falling apart, when I undid the tape the two wires were not wrapped around each other at all, just taped together. I cut off the white wire, and wrapped it up so that it cannot touch anything. I then separated the green and red/white wires and I have the same symptoms as when the temperature is lower. I then touched the 2 together, and it worked like a charm. I went ahead and cut the rusted ends off of the wire and stripped down both the green and red/white wires, twisted them together, folded that over and then taped the heck out of it. Still works at the moment. Temp is supposed to drop Sunday night again, so I will see how things go Monday morning, as it is supposed to be in the 50's.

Thanks to Everyone for all of your help. I will provide an update as soon as I have one on Monday.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
UPDATE: Just wanted to give everyone an update. I am cautiously optimistic. Weather cleared up, but the temp went up also. I pulled off the seat, found the place where the BSA plug should have been, and someone had done their version of a bypass. They cut the plug off completely. Left a bare stripped end of the white wire laying out and taped together the green wire and the red/white wire. The tape was brittle and falling apart, when I undid the tape the two wires were not wrapped around each other at all, just taped together. I cut off the white wire, and wrapped it up so that it cannot touch anything. I then separated the green and red/white wires and I have the same symptoms as when the temperature is lower. I then touched the 2 together, and it worked like a charm. I went ahead and cut the rusted ends off of the wire and stripped down both the green and red/white wires, twisted them together, folded that over and then taped the heck out of it. Still works at the moment. Temp is supposed to drop Sunday night again, so I will see how things go Monday morning, as it is supposed to be in the 50's.

Thanks to Everyone for all of your help. I will provide an update as soon as I have one on Monday.
Well, Appears you found the problem. A couple of us suspected the Ignition Relay was not getting a "ground" from the BAS. Or in your case the "bypass" connection of the BAS.

You might want to go back in there and "solder" those Green and Red/White wires together.. Even put a good "shrink wrap" over the wires....!!

Good that you "terminated" that White wire so it can't touch anything. It always has power with the ignition switch on....!!!!!

Note: Don't believe you need to do the "Hair Dryer/Heat Gun" test.....:D

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
GREAT NEWS.Iilkie zero $ repairs👍

Reactions: DBohrer

·
Premium Member
6,633 Posts
Well, Appears you found the problem. A couple of us suspected the Ignition Relay was not getting a "ground" from the BAS. Or in your case the "bypass" connection of the BAS.

You might want to go back in there and "solder" those Green and Red/White wires together.. Even put a good "shrink wrap" over the wires....!!

Good that you "terminated" that White wire so it can't touch anything. It always has power with the ignition switch on....!!!!!

Note: Don't believe you need to do the "Hair Dryer/Heat Gun" test.....:D
Me, me , me,II was one of the guys who figured such a thing might be the issue. I too am very confident you found the issue. And....the price was right. 😎

·
Registered
1991 Goldwing GL1500a Trike
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
58 degrees and sprinkling, started like it was 80 degrees. Thanks again to everyone for their input. Now I can concentrate on fixing/replacing the broken fairing pieces.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Looks like ur good to go,just about every Goldwing issue can be solved RIGHT HERE

21 - 32 of 32 Posts