Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I have been on this site for about a year now and have learned a lot from reading post here. I joined this site anticipating getting my neighbors wing, well it finally came thru. I was able to get it into my garage and look it over. Its need some tlc and a good cleaning of the wheels. I read the story on buying a new wing and the one thing i learned is about the swingarm. The reason i brought that up is after washing her up a bit I climbed under to look at that.
I was disapointed as to what i found, a small hole in the swingarm. He havent xfered the title over yet to me. He was asking #3000.00 for the wing. It has 64845 miles on it and its pretty clean. I wanted your opinion on this.
I was gonna ask him to drop the price $500.00 and put another swingarm on myself with the help of my son. Is this a good deal at $3000.00? I respect your opinions on here. Thanks :praying:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Looks sweet and the experts will chime in on the swing arm but that seems like a good deal, just make sure she goes thru the gears well and don't have that 4th gear problem. It can't hurt to show him and then explain how you'll need to change the timing belts, coolant and hoses and change the brake/clutch fluids and all the other maintenance you'll be doing, maybe he'll go lower ? Good luck and nice find, my favorite color.

·
It aint rocket science
3,966 Posts
Good looking bike and good price. When you pull the rear tire to grease axle and splines muscle that arm back and forth for looseness and a better look. If tight service the swing arm next winter.;)

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the comments so far. I have had it out for a few short rides around my neighborhood and she shifts smooth thru all the gears, no noises at all. It runs a littl rough since its been sitting awhile. I changed the oil along with fresh gas and seafoam. The swingarm I think I would replace. I have been looking at a few used ones, comments on that too? while she is down I would do the fluids and belts too. Like i said I have learned alot on here. Everyone seems to be so helpful. Thanks again for your responces

·
1,819 Posts
If thats the only rusty part in the swingarm , i would repair it ! - off course it depends on your metal working and welding skills . Dont forget to rust protect the inside after repair .
Price seems wery reasonable for me , ewen with this (small) issue .

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Own '95SE...12+ yrs. 5 or 6 years back, was doing in-depth summer maintenance. Removed rear swingarm [repacking bearings/installing new u-joint boot]. Decided to repaint arm, as it sits in nasty [wet, dirty] environment. Noticed lots of moisture seeping from unwelded seams on the assembly. Washed entire arm well in solvent, including spraying brake cleaner into seams, blowing seams area out twice with compressed air, followed by air dry in direct sunlight. Repainted arm. When dry, I sealed both unwelded seam areas well with black silicone gasket cement. Now I have peace-of-mind that arm should outlast me, lol. My two cents.....papasmurf in NH

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Hello All, I have been on this site for about a year now and have learned a lot from reading post here. I joined this site anticipating getting my neighbors wing, well it finally came thru. I was able to get it into my garage and look it over. Its need some tlc and a good cleaning of the wheels. I read the story on buying a new wing and the one thing i learned is about the swingarm. The reason i brought that up is after washing her up a bit I climbed under to look at that.
I was disapointed as to what i found, a small hole in the swingarm. He havent xfered the title over yet to me. He was asking #3000.00 for the wing. It has 64845 miles on it and its pretty clean. I wanted your opinion on this.
I was gonna ask him to drop the price $500.00 and put another swingarm on myself with the help of my son. Is this a good deal at $3000.00? I respect your opinions on here. Thanks :praying:
its a guy on here (OgreBro) that is selling a swingarm, really reasonable

please pm him

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
That rust hole is in a critical area.
Lot of twisting stress there.
One good jolt & it may break.
So don't dawl'y, you might fall'y. :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FM,Thats what I thought, its a critical area. Ou all have been great with replies. I will see the owner over the weekend and let him know. I am not sure he even knows.
Smartbiker, thanks for the info- he did PM me aand we are in touch with each other. Like I said to ALL of out there, THANKS for the replies and thoughts. This is a great place to be part of!!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
That's a good price... You can expect to spend about $500 in parts (not labor), to completely restore the bike, based on my experience with my 1990.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Might be able to get that welded.
Rust is cancer and will be from the inside out. Much worse on the inside than what is seen on the outside

Replacement is best option.
There are many good 1500 takeoffs from triked some from new bikes that have sat on selves.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, Kids gotta love em. My son found me a swingarm and bought it and is going to help me with the install too. Its a late birthday gift but i am not complaing at all. So as soon as it gets here we are gonna tear into it. I will also be planning on some other maint. Items to be taken care of before I hit the road with her. Again, I want to thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I really feel like family here. THis is the GREATEST SITE!!!!! thanks again!!

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
Well I know this is an old post , but how did the resto go ? Do you still have the bike ?

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello, yes I still have the bike. We did alot of work while I was laid up. We took our time and went thru the whole bike. I ride it when I am able to. This past summe my g/f and I attended NASSIR7. We had to trailer the Wing down as I am only able to ride for an hour at a time. I had knee surgery but still having prob with my knee. We botj love the Wing and enjoy ridding when we can. Thanks for asking. Here is a pic of her when she was done and inspected.
Here is a pic of myself and son who had helped me with the work.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That 91 sure is looking good. Love the gold and brown on them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.