Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

First, let me introduce myself. My co-workers call me by my Nick Name "Tony", 53 Years old, work 60 Hours a week, owned many different styles Motorcycles over the years, sold my last one back in 1992, and I live in the Panhandle of Florida

Just Purchased my first Goldwing. 1992 Aspencade with 83,000 miles which means financially I am near abouts broke. (Spent $4,600.00 for the bike and another $470.00 for tags insurance and taxes).

Just ordered the Gates Timing belts and the NGK Iridiums from rock auto dot com for $96.00 When the parts arrive I will be putting the Goldwing into the Shop and having them installed. I need a simple (inexpensive) fix for the front shocks. This bike does not have any leaking seals. I do not want to buy a new set of Progressive Springs. What is the best advice on solving my problem. I want a safer, more manageable bike, but I am tapped out financially.

Also, what is your best suggestion for motorcycle oil/Oil filter,(Royal Purple?) and is there an advantage to using 93 Octane. (I always have enough money for oil changes and gas fill-ups)

Admittedly, I could do the Timing belts myself, but will trust the local shop to do the wrench work. I no longer have the time, nor the youth, to enjoy pulling everything apart. I just want to ride and be safe.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice.
Tony

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

Hi Tony,

You already nixed my first suggestion, Progressive springs.

On the oil, I favor Chevron's Delo 400 15w40 because it quieted down the lifters, and gave my clutch a better feel and it quit slipping.

Prior to changing to Delo oil, I gave both the gas and oil a heavy dose of Sea Foam to get rid of oxidants and varnish.

No advantage to using the higher octanes. The engine performs very well on 87, and the higher octane numbers will make it harder to start. Especially in cold weather.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

tony-- wellcome to the site.
as far as the front goes-- try a 15 weight fork oil. see if thats what you want. or--might even try a heaveror fork oil.
engine oil---im not touching that one.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thank you for your suggestions. I may have to reconsider the Prgressive Springs. Sea Foam is almost a normal practice for me, if it uses gas, I run sea foam thru it. I have never had seafoam make an engine run poorly during the process and have always preceived better performance after the treatment.
As far as 87 Octane, some seem to think it lowers the gas mileage. I am all about using the simplist and least expensive solutions. Again, thank you for your rapid and useful advice.

Tony

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

on the gas thing---useing 87 octan gas not the corn stuff.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

wda-83wing,
Sadly, I live in Florida and here is the Party line of our wonderful Governor, Charlie Crist. "Florida has the greatest capacity in the nation to produce ethanol because of a year-long growing season and robust agricultural lands. Florida’s sugar cane and citrus industries have great potential to become a statewide asset when converted to ethanol. In this way, energy diversification can be vital to Florida’s economic development and security."

So, as I understand it, Ethanol, at a FULL 10% is mandated in our state. perhaps I will have someone import a few 55 gallon drums to my doorstep of the good stuff.

Makes you want to travel the USA just to get a decent fill-up.

Tony

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

wda-83wing,

Is it possible to drain and then replace the fork oil without removing the front forks? I guess what I am asking is, How can I improve my front forks without having to rebuild them?

Also as an added bonus, What pressures do each of you normally run on your rear shocks when riding just one-up and carrying no extra baggage? does anyone run 0 lbs? is 30 LBS of pressure too much? I know this may vary a lot depending on the age/condition/miles and past lifestyle and abuse of your rear shocks, but I just would like a general idea of where everyones individual comfort zone is and if it improves your safety and handling to run softer or more towards the POGO STICK level.

Just looking for a few personal opinions without opening another thread.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

AZgl1500, Thank you for the tip on Chevron's Delo 400 15w40. At first I just thought it was a simple Chevron oil, but when I started to google it I found that this is a truely remarkable find at an incredable price. Thank you for educating me.

Tony

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I would seriously look at progressive springs. But if you can't you can't...drain the oil and put new in. Check your manual for correct amount and then check depth by measuring from top of tube to oil level. Yes you can leave your forks on. Just make sure you lift the front end off the ground. Be really careful when you take the top cap off as it is under spring pressure. We don't need anymore satellites.

To the right of our screen while not in a particular forum, check out some of the Bikers Workshop hints.

Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Spider Bob. When you are right, you are right. What springs do you recommend? Should I order the Stock Honda Parts? Is there a preferred supplier everyone knows about and just assumes I will order the proper set-up for a better/safer and more enjoyable ride?

It looks like I may be doing the work myself just so I can afford the parts. I really prefer doing the work myself, I'm just getting to old to enjoy it

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Ferrarimix,

First, welcome to the forum. I great place to hang with lots of greatinfo.

I to was in the same boat as you... bad front end. I just don't have the money right now to do the Progressive springs, that a fall project.

However, a bottle of ATF is pretty cheap and only a few hours of your time if your slow at it. I just replaced my fork fluid and it rear shocks and it made a WORLD of difference. AMAZING!!

It's not that hard to do. This is how I did it. It may very well save you the immediate cost of springs.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/73104.html

It might give you a few ideas.

Tim.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.