Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

this is an addition to my previous post.
So it's 60 degrees outside today, got time to check the air pressure in the forks.I gather my tools and remove the cover cap with the 17mm wrench, only to find out that there isn't any air valve! The only thing I saw was the top spring after the energy from removing the cap, that flew into the air after I found the last thread! All I could do at that time was grin and shake my head, gather my thoughts and end cap. I placed the short piece of spring back into the fork, that when I noticed that there was approx. 4" longer than the fork tube:? I decided that all I had to do was force those 4" of spring with cap and thread the cap back on the fork.:cheeky1: Okay Group, what's the best way to get the spring back into the fork tube and capped.
Thanks in advance!

Gary

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

60 degrees in South Carolina must be nice. I took my forks off of my 1988 1500 and took the springs out changed oil in the forks. I think they make a tool to do this with but I did not have one. It was tuff to put it back together with the forks off the bike by hand. I imagine even tuffer on the bike. But if your trying to do it you may put it on the center stand and pull down the back of the bike down with a strap and make sure the forks are extended out as far as possible. Good Luck..

:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

There is, in fact, a special tool that helps with fork spring installation. It's called a Fork Bolt Housing.

If anyone has the means to scan the pages and post here to help gamsler, it's on page 520 in the Clymer manual. Also on page 521 there is a small section on installation without the special tool, but you're gonna need muscle and room to do it, along with a T-bar, ratchet adaptor, and a 17mm Allen socket....:shock:

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
imported post

I have a 1993-1995 Clymer's and it has a table on those pages. But I found the tool you mentioned on a different page, just couldn't find the section on trying this without a tool while the fork is on the bike. I'll paste the pic but I think buying one of these tools iswasted money.

btw, putting the cap on without a tool isn't easy when it's on the bike. I've done it on 1000cc bikes and smaller and it's very easy to strip the threads on these. You'd have to be a gymnast and King Kong to do it on the bike. Or weigh over 400 pounds. Not saying it can't be done with the stock springs, but it's not going to be easy without a tool or by yourself.

If I were you, I'd just bite the bullet and take the fork off the bike now. You already stepped in the doo-doo and if you strip the threads it'llmake thingsa lot worse.

My suggestion would be totake it off the bike, you canmake a tool out of a few pieces of 2X4 and some threaded rod. Checkout rudy's site for instructions. Or take it off the bike and stop at your local bikeshop and give them 30 bucks to put the cap back on for you.

Hope it works out for you. peace

Attachments

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

hi gamsler i changed my springs to progressive with out removing the forks i made this gizmo from 1 1/4 inch pvc plumbing pipe and a tee peice drilled a hole in the top of the tee so i could insert my socket extension then got my 18year old son to sit on the bike and push the spring and cap down while i screwed the cap home worked a treat only cost a few bucks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.