Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read many threads and have done my research and purchased Add-On Speaker kit 15678-824 for my 1992 Aspencade from CycleMax. The rear speakers do NOT fit!! The speakers did NOT fit the stock upper half of the housing without grinding the sides of the speaker frame to get them to sit flush with the housing face. After getting them to finally sit flush and proper, I went to install the upper half onto the lower half of the speaker housing and they are NOT even close!!!! I am beyond furious. There is NO way these things will fit!! Wiring harness was no problem, fired it all up with the speakers just fitted to the upper half of the housing and was a happy camper. Then after threading the back half of the harness through the trunk, rear pocket assemblies, went to attach the top half with the speakers, and NOT even close to fitting!! What is going on? I would have to grind a LOT of the lower housing half to even get close to them fitting. WTH am I missing? And, FYI, I put my first 8-track in a 1966 Malibu in 1969, and have worked on airplanes as a Avionics tech, done niteclub systems that were over $300k, probably installed 200 mobile audio systems, ad nauseam....anybody else run into this problem? How did you resolve it? And, yes, they are the factory speaker housing with the original date stamps and OEM part numbers on them....Sorry for the last couple of crappy pictures, but look closely and you can see what I'm talking about....not even close to fitting!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,768 Posts
If I'm seeing what you are talking about, it just looks like the wrong speaker for the job. If you buy the OEM units, I bet the magnets are smaller and the frame probably just has the tabs rather than the large corners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know exactly what the problem is....I've been doing this for years....my quandry is why are there people all over the web saying this kit fits this bike and no problems??? I can't send the "kit" back because I've made the speakers fit the top housing with mods....but how in the heck are guys saying this kit fit's? Cycle Max, Add-On, everywhere I look, the same part# supposedly "fit's right in".....
GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit (15678-824)
GL1500 electrical parts

Price:​
$41.64
Item: 15678-824 Add-On (in stock)
This is a rear speaker kit. This is made by Add-On and is designed to allow you to add rear speakers to a Goldwing 1500 that did not come with them from the factory. It comes with two speakers, a wiring harness that plugs into the factory wiring and a fader that also plugs into the factory wiring. This comes with instructions and will fit all years and all models of GL1500's from 1988-2000. 15678-824

GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit

Details

SKU: 15678-824

Availability: Out of stock

$54.95 MSRP

Quick Overview
GL1500 rear speaker kit comes with two 4 inch speakers, wire harness and fader switch.

GL1500 Rear Speaker Kit

Details
This rear speaker kit includes two 4 inch speakers, wire harness and fader switch. It fits all the GL1500s except the 1991 10th anniversary Interstate model which has no wiring for this part. 25 Watts Single.

My guess is that Add On changed OEM's and didn't tell CycleMax? Thanks for the response.....'ppreciate it....

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
none of them "fit" as you found out.

everyone that I have read about, has to make mods to cut, grind down, dremel out, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts